Odd temp issues

Eric Koenig

TVWBB Fan
The other day while smoking my first brisket, along with my new Maverick E-73, I had a very strange temperature discrepancy. The lid was showing approximately 25 degrees cooler than the grate temp measured by the probe. I had the probe mounted to the middle part of the grate with the supplied clip. I have since checked both thermometers with the boiling water test as well as putting them both in my oven at 250. Both thermometers registered within about 5 degrees of 212 for the boiling test and within about 5 degrees of each other for the oven test.

It has been my understanding and experience with my last 15 cooks that the lid temp should be higher than the grate temp, but that wasn't the case.

Is there a chance there was some sort of "jetstream" effect of hot air getting to the probe and throwing it off? Anyone have any ideas?

My guess is that the temps were taken early in the cook, maybe the lid temp was being affected by the cold mass of meat.

After a while temps should have evened out....

I wouldn't sweat it the different temps.

I just aim for a range of temps anyway....trying to be very specific at a temp is difficult and sometimes impossible.

And even though I have an assortment of therms (incl the ET-73), I only use a screw-in analog therm in the lid. IMO, it's not necessary to measure both grate temp and lid temp.

One or the other is plenty.

Back