October is World-Wide Senior-Q Month - Time to Cook!

Keri C

TVWBB Wizard
Here's your chance to have fun cooking and make some deserving folks happy as well. Chris thought this was a good event, and okayed my posting it here to stir up some interest. The article below was the front page article on the last KCBS "Bull Sheet" newspaper. The goal is to simply find a senior or a group of seniors to cook for during the month of October, just to say "thank you, and we haven't forgetten you". My arrangements are made - I'll be cooking pulled pork and some chicken, Hog Apple Beans, corn on the cob (by request), and a sweet-tart black-eyed pea salad (also by request) for the residents of a lower-income senior's apartment complex here in my home town, to be served at 4 pm on October 8. They are to have a final head count for me by October 1, which will probably be around 75 - 100 or so.

Read on, and then please consider joining up for this wonderful opportunity to make someone feel appreciated.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
October is Officially "Senior Q" Month

Get fired up!

Attention all people who love to cook, and all people who respect their elders. In an effort to raise public awareness of our elderly, the Kansas City Barbeque Society, the National BBQ News, and the Iowa Barbeque Society have joined hands in declaring October "Senior Q" month"

Why are we doing this? The answer is simple. To raise awareness of the importance of our elderly as a national treasure. To let them know that's how we feel about them. In short, to let them know we still care. If we make one person smile, the effort was worth it. If we make one thousand people smile, it was history.
The concept is a simple one. Show people that later in life they are still important to us, using BBQ as our "canvas". It doesn't matter if its' an individual, or a group of people that are recognized. It doesn't matter if its' an individual, or a group of people that are giving the recognition. It does matter that the recognition is given!

We need your help. We are asking for volunteers from across the Nation (and Globe) to participate. Any Group, Organization, Team, Company, or Individual will be welcome to cook. Any selected Senior Citizen Individual, Group, or Organization will be the target recipient. Be creative. Work with Nursing Homes, Care Facilities, Meals on Wheels, or the Widow down the street who lives alone. The sky is the limit. Coordinate your efforts to get family members involved. Get sponsors involved, organizations involved, or just do it alone.

When you figure out your goal, make it happen. Document your ideas, thoughts, actions, and follow through. Take a few digital photos. . Then compose your own article based on your experience. Mention sponsors, volunteers, anybody you want that assisted. Be careful to protect the integrity of the seniors you are representing, their family, and those trying to assist them at this stage of life. In return, we will give you coverage for your efforts, guaranteed! And what better time for this coverage than in the December issues of BOTH the KCBS Bullsheet, and the National BBQ News!
Recognition will be given at the 2005 KCBS Awards Program to the effort that is deemed the most worthy (as deemed by the KCBS, National Barbecue News, and the Iowa Barbeque Society).

So, whether alone or with a group, work out the details, and fire up those smokers! All articles need to be submitted to Mike Tucker no later than NOVEMBER 12, 2005. Email them at SeniorBBQ@hotmail.com or call him toll free at 1-877-841-7192 with questions.
~~~~~~~~~~~

Fire in the hole, boys and girls!
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Keri C, still smokin' on Tulsa Time

thanks for posting keri - a great idea. There's a sweet old lady at my church from the smoky mountains. she misses her family and is always telling stories about growing up down there. I was going to invite her over in a couple of weeks for our family dinner... now I know what will be on the menu...

Figured it would be fitting to cook in the weber smoky mountain for the nice lady from the smoky mountains.

Back