Ocean Mussels in the WSM

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

G

Having an abundance of local sea mussels, i wanted to try smoking them. Found much discussion about water/no water, drying out, adding spices, onions, etc. Also discussions about level of smoke flavor being minimal because of the shell. Well, I tried the following and the mussels were perfect;
- 1 chimney of briquets, set temp @ 250
- no water in foil lined pan
- 4 fist size chunks of oak
- clean mussels and put in grill wok (with holes)
- smoke hard @ 250 for 1-1-1/4 hours until mussels all open (note: they do not open as much as when you steam them, only 1/4" or so)

These were perfect, moist, with just the right amount of smoke flavor. Very simple to make.
Enjoy
Brian

Brian - that sounds absolutely delish.
Wish I could do that, but Duck Creek clams probably don't taste as good as fresh mussels.
BTW, the Cape Cod area is one of only 3 places I would ever consider living in other than Wisconsin.

Thanks Clark,
This is a beautifull area. We live just north of the Sagamore Bridge in South Plymouth (Cedarville) We are lucky in the fact that the sea breezes keep us a good 10 degrees cooler than the inland heat. I have been in the UP of Wis. and was in love with the landscape. Was on business unfortunately and did not get to spend as much time there as I would have liked.

A $5 license gets me all the mussells I could stand!

Happy Grilling Mr. H.
Brian

Back