Obsessive/Compulsive

Dave Wood

TVWBB Fan
Help!!! Tell me how to relax and let the mighty WSM do its thing. I am in the early stages of my first all nite cook. Two beautiful 8 Lb butts went on at 4:45, hoping to pull at app 9:00 tomorrow, into foil for a couple hours then pull and into fridge. I have to feed app 18 teenagers at our campsite at Cedar Point (apparently the Roller Coaster Capital of the Universe)on Sunday.

All is well so far but I can't help fiddling with the vents, all it takes is a degree or two and I am out there. I have a Maverick ET-73 and it is always at my side.

Hope I survive this!! Wish me luck.

Dave, have you tried beer? Start slowly with once can and if the paranoia doesn't subside, try another then another!

A lot of people like to cook at 225°. I cook butts at 250°, and let the pan go dry towards the end, allowing it to rise to 275°. Mr. Minion mentioned here, just recently, that he's even known to cook brisket at 325° on occasion. If your temp goes south (or north) for an hour or so, it won't hurt a butt. Set your remote not to bother you until it goes more than about 15° either side of your target.

What you mention about Cedar Point is true.

I have already progressed beyond beer to red wine. The grill temp is 246 and the meat temp is 132, it is now 7:10.

This is almost like a support group, thanks so much for the resonses.

I will be here all nite!!!

Sounds to me like you've got things well under control. Think about it - are teenagers really gonna' complain about FOOD. Only if there's not enought of it !

Smoked Boston butts can make a less than average cook look great and I'm proof of that. Relax and enjoy your cook.

Paul

Dateline Chatham, ON 9:02,

Current grill temp 157. Meat temp 156, soon to head to bed, plan to be up app 4:00.

Damn, this is fun and if it turns out it will be even better!!!!

Can't post pictures as I am a technological turtle.

Why did I ever get into this??? It is now 4:00 A.M. and the mighty WSM is at 238, I cannot believe that it held temp this well!!!!

Butts are at 169 so I guess I am in the plateau where all the magic happens.

I sure hope my son and his buddies enjoy the eats. Frankly I can't wait to munch down when I pull these puppies.

Note that you can plateau again in the 180s. I just run hotter if needed to kick them.

Sounds like you had a great cook.

I totally agree with the alcohol cure. Drink till a light buzz, fall asleep and you will be awakened by the buzz of the ET-73.

Hey many thanks for all your comments.

Pulled the butts off at 9:30 A.M. (196 and 198) and they are now resting double wrapped in HD foil and beach towels in a cooler. Plan to pull at 11:30.

I think I am going to have a great lunch and there should be plenty to take to Cedar Point. Will reheat in a crockpot on low and occasionally spritz with apple juice. Will serve sammie style with coleslaw and baked beans. Bet for most of my son's buddies this will be the first time they have had real Q.

Again thanks for the great messages.

Back