Oak wood

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I have probably 3-400 lbs of scrap oak which came from stairway posts etc. Being a scroll sawyer, some of this I can use for projects however much of it is useless and was wondering if the scrap chunks can be used to smoke with.

Warren

Warren
As you know the wood is very dry so it won't impart as much smoke as non-kiln dried wood, that said as long as it has not have any chemicals or finish of any kind applied, use at your own risk.
Jim

I would think if the pieces are soaked ahead of time, they would work just fine.

Being kiln dried, makes me think the pieces would more accepting of the water, than non-kiln dried.

One of the primary vendors of alder wood on the net sells waste scrap wood pieces from cabinet shops and it works just fine.

Mike
Kiln dried oak or hardwoods in general, in a chunk form, is not going to except much water but it will float very well.
Jack
Using scrap lumber is a gamble, unless the people selling it to you willing to put in writing that it wasn't treated, then buyer beware.
If you check out what kinds of materials that are used on woods you may not want to encourage their use.
Unless you know that the material has not had any chemicals applied, DON'T USE IT.
Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back