Oak from backyard for smoking?

DavidD

TVWBB Super Fan
I have a fire pit in the back yard so i keep split oak on hand. Is this ok to chunk and use for smoking? Any special care needed? What foods is oak preferred for?

I have two bags of mesquite and hickory, both med chunks from walmart but thought about the oak.

If the wood has been dried and not rotted you could chunk it and use it. Try to eliminate the bark from you smoking wood.

I use oak on brisket for smoking. I may add a hunk to the grill when I'm doing steaks or hamburger. Oak usually goes well with beef.

Oak is one of my favorites for smoking. I have a slight preference for white over red, but they are both good. It has a medium flavor, not as strong as hickory, not as mild as most fruit woods.

Chunk some up and try it!

JimT

Use it up!

I use oak on just about everything. Pecan is rare around here but I do order it. I had a hickory cook go bad and now my tastebuds revert back to that cook whenever I use hickory. I used too much hickory on some ribs several years ago and got waaaaaaaaaayy too much hickory smoke on them. I almost threw them away. Actually I wish I would have, maybe I would be able to use hickory today if I did.

Anyhow fruitwood alone is way too mild for me. I usually use a combo of fruitwood and oak or pecan.

David, yes use all the oak you want. For me it's stronger than fruit woods but not as strong
as hickory or mesquite. I also you both oak and apple or cherry.

Same here Jeff, I got to much hickory on a pork loin one time and it almost turned my whole family against smoking meat anymore. Like you said, we eat it but now wished we wouldn't have.

I have a very large white oak in the back yard so when I run out I just go cut another limb off cut up into chunks on the table saw and let season for a few months. (Also makes it easier to mow under). Unlike some others I leave the bark on the wood and hasn't made a big difference to me. I am still working on a combination of oak and fruit woods and that is a perfect balance for my family as well. I agree fruit wood by itself is not enough.

Randy

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ron F:
not to hijack the thread, but is there a taste difference between red oak and white oak? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think there is Ron, but I couldn't describe it. As I stated above, I slightly prefer white over red. Both are good though.

Around here, there's mostly red. I rely on some buddies at work to bring me some white now and then. What's available on your side of the state?

Oh, and it's Battle "Creak", not Battle "Crick."

LOL,

JimT

I've never seen either available for sale as BBQ chunks around here. I've seen white oak chips available I think at Gander Mountain. I always have red oak available from a woodworking hobby. The oak they sell at home depot/lowes is always red oak.

Ron

Ron,

I'm a far cry from a wood "expert", but I don't think kiln dried wood will give you very good results. Try for natural, if you can. I know you live in a pretty built up area, but there may still be some sources for all different kinds of woods, and probably at no cost to you!

Try golf courses, parks, tree trimming services, county extension services, orchards, land developers, etc. Let your imagination run wild as to who might be cutting trees, and "let your fingers do the walking through the Yellow Pages."

Good Luck,

JimT

anyone care to chime in on the kiln dried aspect? I never even thought of that. The logic in me says it shouldn't matter as any wood used in the smoker is 'seasoned', which just means it air dried for a few months. I'm sure kiln dried has less moisture(between 6-18% usually depending on the type of wood) but even air dried wood will get down in the teens.

Curious now,
Ron

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ron F:
anyone care to chime in on the kiln dried aspect? I never even thought of that. The logic in me says it shouldn't matter as any wood used in the smoker is 'seasoned', which just means it air dried for a few months. I'm sure kiln dried has less moisture(between 6-18% usually depending on the type of wood) but even air dried wood will get down in the teens.

Curious now,
Ron </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Just a FYI here. The ideal moisture content for smoking wood is 30%. Now i have no way of measuring this so it's pointless. Just thought i'd post it though.
icon_rolleyes.gif

From past experience, burning kiln dried wood in my fireplace results in a lot of fire works. Cracking and popping, etc. As long as the wood is not treated with any kind of chemicals it should be ok for the WSM. Since the whole unit is enclosed it shouldn't create a problem with sparks flying out.

I was in Lowe's the other day and they had a 3/4" 7 ply cabinet grade sheet of Birch plywood for a measely $5, normally $38. Could this be cut down in pieces and used in the WSM? Along that note, the unfinished molding, trim, etc. is red oak. Would this be safe to use in the WSM also? I wonder if there are glues or chemicals used in the manufacturing processes of plywood? Are hardwood plywood pieces used in lump charcoal?

Plywood sounds like a very bad idea - something non-woody is holding the plys together. Here is what a quick google search tells me:

The type of adhesive used to bond the layers of wood together depends on the specific application for the finished plywood. ... Hardwood plywood used for interior applications and in the construction of furniture usually is made with a urea-formaldehyde resin.

I don't think that a urea-formaldehyde resin smoke is what you want.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan S:
[Just a FYI here. The ideal moisture content for smoking wood is 30%. Now i have no way of measuring this so it's pointless. Just thought i'd post it though.
icon_rolleyes.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
You can buy a gage that will give you moisture content in wood but way to expensive to consider. Another method would be to bang to of the sticks together, if it sound like bowling pins be struck it's too dry.

In most cases when the wood from a tree that has been down for two years or longer is getting too dry.
Jim

Back