NY Times Article - No Marinade for Grilling

Wow, good discussion. I appreciate the input. :)

20+ years ago, the restaurant I worked at used a soya marinade for all chicken dishes. The recipe standard was to marinade for 6-12 hours. It provided a mild flavor. Fast forward to home cooking and I use the numerous rub recipes found here and in some of the bbq books I bought. It works. I don't have the time nor reefer space to marinade.

I have cooked meat, chicken, and pork with a marinade and without.. For sure a marinade helps alot...and taste better.
I never heard of anyone that i know say that it will penetrate deep in the food..

IMG_0183_zps6d5b0c9a.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
This little puppy drives marinade deep. I'm with Tony, marinade does make a difference and this tool makes a bigger difference.

Last edited:
Does it matter how deep it penetrates? I am eating the whole piece so I get the benefit of the flavor in most bites. As for Dales, that is the wonderful nectar of Irondale Alabama. It is good on everything.

Does it matter how deep it penetrates?

No probably not but does it make a difference in taste, yes as far as I'm concerned it does. How do you argue vinegars and as I mentioned originally how do you argue Cornell Chicken?
I appreciate we all have to give pause and sometimes evaluate why we do what we do and I do love some of Meathead's recipes but he is selling Attention to his web-site so controversy does make a difference for him and does create attention. I'm sure many others are far better cooks than I am, but I like Marinades and will continue to use them!...and the NY Times authors don't BBQ in my back yard.

Last edited:
I don't think the article states not to use marinades or that the marinades don't work at all.. just that they impact flavors to the surface more than the center... and that a more effective way to use a marinade is after the cook where it can impact the most flavors. The article also states to use spices geneously (except salt) to flavor the meat.

I don't marinade much (except chicken) but I do add spices and try to stay open minded to different techniques.

I love all of the NYC haters (as cliche as a Pace salsa commercial)...

FYI your author is from VIRGINIA.
These guys are no slouches, but I'll continue to marinade or do whatever makes my food taste good.

Chris Schlesinger was born and raised in Virginia, where he first developed his love for barbecue, spicy food and live fire cooking. He started working in kitchens, became a line cook and then decided to pursue a formal culinary education at the Culinary Institute of America (CIA) where he graduated in 1977.

Chris is the coauthor with John Willoughby of five cookbooks: the James Beard Cookbook Award winner, The Thrill of the Grill; Salsas, Sambals, Chutneys, and Chowchows; Big Flavors of the Hot Sun; Lettuce in Your Kitchen; and License to Grill. They also have a monthly feature in The New York Times, and have written numerous articles for magazines such as GQ and Food & Wine. Chris is also a contributing editor for Saveur magazine.

As the OP, I was born, raised in MD and now live in NVa. I learned to cook from my Dad. I would prefer that no one disparage where people come from. NYC's great asset IMHO is it's diversity. It is amazing what can be created and cooked amongst all of that concrete and asphalt. Great tasting food comes from all walks of life with a lot less $$$ money spent on equipment and technology.

Just saying...

I have a theory that the marinade might leave the surface of the meat moister, even after patting dry, and therefore might inhibit browning.

Just a thought,
Rita

I think Ben Franklin gets credit for saying, the taste of the roast is determined by the warm handshake/greeting of the host.

I get a number of newspapers and the NY Times is fantastic imo. I only get the Sunday edition and I read it over the course of a week.

Sorry for the late post. Was traveling but just can't help myself for jumping in...

Remember: The title is "Flavor is Only Skin Deep" Subtitle: "Welcome to the Post Marinade Era".

Article made two broad points.

First, the idea that it [marinade] tenderizes your food. While it’s true that acids in marinades have somewhat of a tenderizing effect on proteins, it is limited to the proteins with which they come into contact.

Can't say I disagree. If I need to tenderize a piece of meat I run to the meat mallet not the marinade bottle.

Second, marinades deliver relatively subdued flavors, which is not what you’re going for in grilling.

Relatively subdued flavors... OK. I'll buy that.
Not what I'm going for in grilling? Who says? Of course I do. Just not all the time.

Sometimes you want a terriyaki London Broil so you marinate. Sometimes you want that same piece of meat with an Asian Lemon Grass and Serrano Rub so you don't. Then just to confuse things sometimes you want both so take the lemon grass and serrano add a little rice vinegar and fish sauce, blend it into a paste and let it sit for a day. Marinade? Rub? You tell me it sure is bold though.

Lastly: To the guy from Seattle who asked "How many people in NY do you know who have any kind of grill". Are you kidding me? Forget about it.

Back