Nu-temp Problems

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Today, while smoking my 1st pork butt, I tried out my new Nu-temp 701. One probe was in the meat, the other through a wood block on the grill. The measured grill temp was quite a bit higher than the dial thermometer I had in the lid, and meat temperature also seemed high. I inserted my dual-sensor Polder in the meat, and it read 10 degrees lower than the Nu-temp probe in the meat, and about 20 degrees less then the grill-level Nu-temp probe.

So, I pulled the Nu-temp probes and put them in boiling water to test them - 20-25 degrees higher than boiling point. Switching probes between remotes didn't make any difference.

At this point, I should note that I had actually tried the Nu-temp a couple of weeks ago, but had left the probes out on a table on our deck before using them, and condensation got to 'em, I think - they were wacko. So, I tried the recommended method of putting them in the oven for an hour at 325 to dry them out. 'Fess up time - I actually put the ENTIRE PROBES in the oven - including the jacks! Needless to say, the jack end is NOT rated for 325 (mental head slap). So, I ordered two more probes - the ones I'm using today.

Meanwhile, back at the pit, my temerature is spiking, so I successively shut down all vents, including the top vent. Left the Polder in, brought my lid thermometer and a new fry thermometer in to test them. Wife comes in a few minutes later - "some alarm is going off outside." Damn - now the Polder is reading way high (200+ for meat after 2 hours of cooking, 300+ for grill-level temp). With all vents closed and full water pan - mucho humidity not good for probe.

Decided to put both Nu-temp probes and the Polder probe in the oven again (jacks OUTSIDE this time). After an hour, checked the Polder probe by plugging it into the base unit, and it seemed to be reading OK again. Tested all three again in boiling water - Polder OK, Nu-temps still reading 20-25 degrees higher than BP.

I'll do the oil treatment on the Polder probe tonight, so I think it will be OK for now. But what do I do about the Nu-temp probes and/or remotes? They were never anywhere near water (kept them inside until use, and the vents were open when using them on the WSM), so I don't think it's a water problem. Could it be that my remote units are bad? Any suggestions on how to rescue my investment?

Hi,

I use Nu Temps. If you have a problem, dial them on their 800 #. They are prompt and knowledgeable.

For some reason, most of these probes run three degrees high, not just Nu Temps. I have a couple others. I think they are all made in the same factory in China.

willg

I have 3 NuTemps and every one of them reads about 5? low at boiling (210-211?F), no matter which transmitter I plug them into. At least they're consistent, a good thing.

I don't know what I did before I had them - I used to put in a lot of mileage going out to the WSM and back into my kitchen every 15 minutes!
Rita

Any of you folks try the Taylor probe? I have talked with the head of engineering at Taylor and based on our discussions the Taylor probe is the higher of quality of these units in my opinion.
They specify the thermistor being used in the probe, the means of interconnection within the probe and ensure these are tested. And you can reorder the Taylor probes for $2.50 a piece.

The Taylor, Polder and the NuTemp should be interchangeable for the single probe units (not a dual probe).

Regards,
PrestonD

Do you have a web site or contact number for ordering the Taylor probes?

Check Amazon.com. They had a deal on Taylor Probe Thermometers. I bought two of them for about $29 and no s&h.

willg

Actually, I'd like to just get the replacement probe - and use it with my Nu-temp remote sensor.

Will, I checked out the Taylor Digital at Amazon, thinking it would be a great price for a second remote thermometer. The display looks identical to the Polder. But the reviews there were mostly negative -- I know satisfied customers are less likely to post a review than dissatisfied ones. Have you had yours long enough yet or used them enough times to give the Taylor a thumbs-up?

Doug
I have not had any luck with the Taylor I have, it has never worked well. Of the different brands I have the Taylor has done the worst job.
Others may have had better luck.
Jim

I had become increasingly frustrated with the electronic probe thermometers lately and have switched back to the Tru-temp dial type. Cost about $40 each and my last three times checking temps against boiling water, they both were right on the mark.

Unfortunately, the stems on these types are a little hefty to be poking into some of your smaller pieces of meat, so I keep a calibrated Polder handy for that purpose.

Two years ago, I would not have ventured far without a probe to monitor meat temp, but as you gain experience, you may start to rely more on appearance of the meat rather than the temp.

For brisket, the old fork in the end of the flat is as good as any. For pork butt, wiggle that bone a couple times. For ribs, 1/2 inch up the bone is how much the meat should recede.

What I am finding is that for chicken, I try to control the cooking process and rely on stable temps (as measured by my accurate Tru-Temp) to control the end result.

I am not completely weaned of the probes, but I find myself relying on them less and less.

Dale

DOUG D -

I haven't had chance to use the Taylors except to check boiling point. Like most of those I have, they are off a few degrees. At $2.50 per replacement, I figured the probes could be switched into another monitor. So far the most reliable probe unit I have is from Chaney, bought from a restaurant supply for $20. I think Dale's got it right. Find a mechanical unit, pay the price and know it's accurate. Besides it won't run out of batteries.

willg

Hi,

The digital thermometers are all made by the same company in China called OKI. The suppliers here in the states essentially order a certain configuration and style and look for their specific thermometers.

Taylor did have a problem a while back with their temp probes which resulted in Taylor going back to OKI and spec'ing out their probes. Frequent failure in the probes is not a uncommon occurrence. I still beleive you will have more luck with the newer specified temperature probe from Taylor. If you have an older unit you may want to get a newer probe.

These digital thermometer units (Polder, taylor, Pyrex, etc.) all work the same. They are thermistor based probes where the thermistor plays a part as a resistor in part of an RC network used as a multivibrator circuit. As the temperature varies, the frequency varies due to varying resistance of the thermistor. The chip inside the digital thermometer essentially counts the frequency generated by this multivibrator circuit (its really all on one chip called an ASIC - Application Specific Integrated Circuit which includes the multivibrator, LCD display drivers, digital input for the switches, etc.). Dependant upon the resultant frequency the chip determines the temperature.

I have had my Taylor unit for almost a year with no problem. Accuracy varies by a few degrees, sometimes more but we are not talking NIST certified units. If you are getting better than 5 degrees accuracy you are doing pretty good considering the temperature span of the unit.

If you wish to order a new Taylor probe, here is what Taylor told me:

===========================================
Taylor Model #1470 additional probes are available at the listed price of $2.50 each. Taylor does not take credit cards or COD. Personal check or money order only. Please somewhere on the check or money order write the part number: 1470RP

Please make it out to the following and mail:

Taylor Precision Products
2220 Entrada del Sol
Las Cruces, NM 88001
Attn: A. Salas

Once Taylor receives your letter Taylor will drop an order for how many probes that are needed. Taylor pays for the shipping.
=========================================

If you have had any problems with your Taylor unit, please contact them and let them know. In every instance I have had practically immediate response to my inquiries, they are a quality organization and the folks there do go the extra mile.

I am still waiting for multiple letters, e-mail and voice mail messages left with Polder for response to my questions regarding their units - no response for 6 months to multiple inquiries by various methods.

Hope this information helps...

PrestonD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back