Nu Temp Prob Problems, anyone else having problems?

David Collier

TVWBB Fan
I have purchased 4 probes and transmitter units. At this point, all four probes have mal-functioned. The last smoke had only one working properly. Three of them were reading above 150 and 200 at room temperature. Put them in boiling water and they all stayed well above 250. I think I am cleaning them in water too well, or perhaps submerging them has caused the problem. Anyway, I have changed all batteries and swapped out different probes with different transmitters and the probles appear useless. Any ideas????? After leaving out in the open at room temperature, one has returned to normal after 14 days. The rest of them still read 194 and higher. HELP??!!!

PS - I sent email to Nu-Temp December 16th, have gotten no response as of December 29th. Both issues seem to be opposite of other threads on the TVWBB site.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by David Collier:
I have purchased 4 probes and transmitter units. At this point, all four probes have mal-functioned. The last smoke had only one working properly. Three of them were reading above 150 and 200 at room temperature. Put them in boiling water and they all stayed well above 250. I think I am cleaning them in water too well, or perhaps submerging them has caused the problem. Anyway, I have changed all batteries and swapped out different probes with different transmitters and the probles appear useless. Any ideas????? After leaving out in the open at room temperature, one has returned to normal after 14 days. The rest of them still read 194 and higher. HELP??!!!

PS - I sent email to Nu-Temp December 16th, have gotten no response as of December 29th. Both issues seem to be opposite of other threads on the TVWBB site. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have had 4 complete units for nearly 4 years now and not had any problems with any of them. It sounds like you may have immersed the probe/wire junction area in water while cleaning. If you have, that is the problem. That junction is not water proof with Nu-Temp or any other similar type probe. I have read that drying the probes in low, dry heat has worked in evaporating the moisture from the probes but this takes hours/days and is not a given. I would resend your email or call them to see what they recommend.

Good luck,

Bill

David,

I feel your pain. I've gone through 2 units in the last week; most likely due to the same problem. I believe Bill is correct; you can't submerge the probes in liquid up to the point where the braided cable connects to the probe. I'm looking into a sealant that will withstand the heat for that junction. Probably too simplistic otherwise the manufacturers would have done that by now.

I've read that it has worked for some but not for others. I would think that a low temp oven setting say, 180º for several hours or even a day or 2 might be your best bet. I'm not sure if this will work in a gas oven though.. When gas burns, it gives off moisture.

Good luck.

Bill

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Paul K:
David,

I feel your pain. I've gone through 2 units in the last week; most likely due to the same problem. I believe Bill is correct; you can't submerge the probes in liquid up to the point where the braided cable connects to the probe. I'm looking into a sealant that will withstand the heat for that junction. Probably too simplistic otherwise the manufacturers would have done that by now. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think the problem may be finding something that is a high temp, food grade, flexible sealer. If it wasn't flexible it would crack and loose the seal.

Back