NU-701 remote thermometer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Russ

TVWBB Fan
I've got the NU-701 remote thermometer, and it's been great. The only thing I don't like is that you can only have it go off it the temp gets too high OR too low, but not both. If I set it for the 'too high' alarm and the temp drops instead of climbs, now what? Has anyone figured out a workaround for this?

/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif Hmmmm... looks as if I should have read your post first (before reading the other NU-Temp thread). I just responded to a post in there about the maverick not having a low temp alarm asking if there was a work around. Looks as if a possible work around is to buy a nu-temp unit just to measure and alert for low heat situations, and also use the maverick for done and high heat situations. /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif if this is true (nu-temp AND maverick units as the best workaround), I wonder if I am shooting a fly with a cannon, and also, with all those metal probes in the unit, I hope there is no lightning storms when I cook! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Oh no! I ordered my Nu-temp 701, thinking it would alarm on both high and low concurrently. I just got it last night, so I haven't had time to check it out (plus, didn't have enough AAA batteries).

Looks like I will need three probes, which I think the base unit will handle - right? One for high grill temp, one for low grill temp, and one for meat temp? Or I guess I could use the wired polder for the meat temp, and plan to pay more attention to it toward the end of the cook.

Isn't there anything else out there that will allow you to set a range and trigger an alarm when the temp goes outside that range?

An observation on temperature control:

I think that paying close attention to temperatures is useful as a learning exercise.

However, once you've done a few long cooks, you'll develop a "feel" for how the cooker behaves -- how much fire you need for how long a cook, how fast the temps will rise when you open the vents, how slowly the temps will fall when you close the vents, etc.

I don't think that religiously holding precise temperatures like an oven is really necessary for good bar-b-q. I find myself paying less attention frequent attention to the probes during a cook and not really worrying about temperature swings.

Specifically, I will try to get the temps in the 225 degree range and set the vents for the temperatures to very slowly rise over a couple hour period. Often, that rise will top out in the 270 degree range by itself and then slowly start to fall as ash accumulates. So, I'll set the high temp alarm to 275. If the alarm goes off, I'll close the vents just a bit.

In short, as long as the temp is somewhere between 215 and 275 degrees, I leave the fire alone. Since the cooker prevents all direct heat, there is really no risk of burning up the food.

I start with enough charcoal for the length of the cook and am comfortable enough with the behavior of the cooker that I know the fire isn't going to go completely out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back