now what? Pork Butt serving question.

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Ok, 10 hours and my 7lb butt is done..mind you, I have never had a butt before and you guys (with your constant yacking over how great they are)have inspired and convinced me to do it. Alright, I wanted to play with the smoker and stay up late (my wife makes me go to bed with her at 10:00). It looks good, I guess (just like the Mr. Brown pics on this site).

I didn't expect it to finish this early, but oh well..I wrapped it in surran and tin foil and a towel and put it in a heated cooler just like you all suggested. I am a good student! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Now what?...I guess I want to eat these great sandwiches you all talk about. I don't have the BBQ sauce that Mr. Brown suggests....only KC Masterpiece (jar of honey) left over from BRITU. I can run to Stator Bro's if I need something else (if they have anything else). What do you suggest? How do I create these sandwiches? Do I just rip apart the meat, throw away any fat (if there is any) and mix in BBQ sauce (as I imagine), or is my techniqe a bit rustic? I have 3-5 hours to ready myself.

Brian,

Just start ripping the meat apart with either a pair of forks or your hands. You'll proabably have a little fat left. I usually do.

WARNING - That critter is gonna be HOT!!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif Be sure and wear some gloves when your shredding the meat.

Then just throw some meat between a bun, put some sauce on there (the BRITU sauce would be just fine if you want to give it a try), and have at it!! Me personally, I like a good spread of mayonaise with my 'Q...especially when it's cold (i.e. just out of the fridge)
---------------------------
Mark WAR EAGLE!!

I'm picturing an Arby's type (loose meat) sandwich, how would horse radish go with it?

I just finished up 2 days of eatin' pulled pork.
I simply pulled it apart with 2 forks and
threw it on a bun (without sauce or anything else).
It was great just plain!!!

North Carolina pulled pork traditionally has a vinegar sauce mixed in to spice things up. I made mine with white vinegar, cider vinegar, hot pepper flakes, tabasco and a little sugar, salt and pepper to taste. Mix it up, put the pork on a cheap white hamburger bun and put some cole slaw on top of that. BBQ sauce is optional. I made one yesterday from my leftovers without the cole slaw, but adding some barbecue sauce. Woo doggies!

Vinegar sauce is excellent with pulled pork. Try it and you will like it. Just combine 1/2 cup ketchup, 1 1/2 cups cider vinegar (or white vinegar) and a teaspoon of crushed red pepper (or cayanne) (more if you like). Then just assemble your sandwich: bread, meat, sauce, coleslaw, bread /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif and eat!!

just got back from stator Bros...am going to make both vinegar sauces in "smoke and spice"..I hope I got the right vinegar, got apple cider vinegar (the only cider vinegar they had), and white distilled vinegar. Going to use brown sugar for the first sauce (vaunted)...anyone have a preference on white or brown sugar? I need to start experimenting with sauces cause as I've said before...i got no clue!

will let you know which one went over better and how it all turns out. Time to go have lunch.

I ate too much too fast.

Two large sandwiches in very fresh/soft hamburger buns. DELICIOUS. I had to eat the second one with the different sauce. My pores are still pouring sweat. The spices opened them up then the cleanup (its 105 here today) kept them going. I have no opinion on which sause was best..they were both good..guess I will have to try again at dinner time.

I am wondering if the smoke flavor will come out more noticeable like it did in the ribs after it cools and is reheated.

I kept it wrapped for 4.5 hours and it was still at 160 when I unwrapped it. It pulled beautifully. I just hope it stands up to the real test.............my wife. She will have to reheat it tonight after work.

I told here she would rue the day she made me wait two weeks to buy my WSM. She could have had dinner waiting for her a month ago....

Hi all! Man, sure sounds good and I just had supper. I enjoy a honey mustard sauce with my pulled pork. But I would like to suggest Kaiser rolls toasted in a cast iron skilett. They really hold up well with any sauce one might care to use with one of these manly sandwiches and they are bigger!

Chach

Wife loved it..and in keeping with her heritage she used it for tacos, add a little..er..lot of avocado and some cheese and its a tasty little snack...I can eat those tacos like candy.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Brian Campbell:
[qb]
I am wondering if the smoke flavor will come out more noticeable like it did in the ribs after it cools and is reheated.
[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Hi Brian,
Congradulations on your first butt experiance. Sounds like you did a great job.
I was transplanted here to Virginia from California back in 76" via the US Navy and have been here ever since. I have become accustomed to North Eastern North Carolina style barbecue. That is with vinigar based sauce. We also pile on the coleslaw. I must admit that the coleslaw thing seemed strange to me at first. Now I would'nt have a good ole barbeque sandwich without it. Try it you might like it. As for the smoke flavor. I have found that I like to use alot of hickory chunks with butt. When I first started smoking butts they did'nt have enough smoke flavor for me so I kept increasing the ammount of hickory untill I found the taste I was looking for. Remember that the only thing that matters is how you like it. Keep up the good work.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Brian Campbell:
[qb] Wife loved it..and in keeping with her heritage she used it for tacos, add a little..er..lot of avocado and some cheese and its a tasty little snack...I can eat those tacos like candy. [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Substitute pulled pork for the meat in just about any mexican style dish. Enchiladas, tacos, burritos, tamales, you get the idea. Man talk about good /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Using the pulled pork in tacos is one of our standard leftover meals. Mr Brown goes very well in tacos. However, I've been considering using a SW type rub on one of my butts just for tacos.

Ok, I discovered what I like at lunch today..

Mixed in a bunch of BRITU sauce and spread both sides of bread with Horseradish, piled it high on a large hamburger bun (no sesames) and eat em two at a time. Not knocking the vineager sauce, but I'm not used to that yet.

Hi Brian, I'm a fan of the vinegar sauce, but it can be an acquired taste.
A good, simple honey-mustard sauce is great with pulled pork. Use equal amounts of honey, mustard, and cider vinegar and mix. Let it sit for a bit and give it a taste, then adjust to make it to your preference. Sometimes I prefer tart and vinegar-y, other times I add more honey to make it sweeter. Good stuff!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back