Now That's Lame

• Thread starter Thread starter mattD
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mattD

Hi everybody and happy new year! Yea it's been a long time since I last posted but this is too lame not to tell. I help coach a high school wrestling team and I decided to try a new product at our annual invitational tournaments concession.
Yes that's right smoke pulled pork sandwiches, ala renowned mr. brown's recipe. Two weekends rubbed and smoked overnight 12 previously frozen pork butts w/ bone-in, shredded and vaccum sealed. I reheated by dropping the vaccum sealed bags in boiling water for about 10 minuets. Used KC masterpiece with some honey and vinegar for sauce and loaded on warm buns. Oh! man, the stuff went out like crazy, the parents could not keep up, total 60 lbs. of smoked pork went out in 4 hours, teams from California, New York, and Arizona could not beleive they had to come to Hawaii to eat one good BBQ pork sandwich. Now here is the "kick" in the butt, one of our teams here decided to copy us last week at their tournaments concession by using precook pork and mixing liquid smoke and bottled BBQ sauce....NOT!!! Stuff tasted like sh*t.. They told me they got the idea from our tournament, they couldn't beleive how good the pork was and asked my how we did it? Ofcourse I just gave them a dumb look and shrugged my shoulders, after all I stumbbled upon a gold mine, made about $10,000.00 in two days during the tournament with our concession. Do you think it was the smoke pork sandwiches?...Yea!! Have a wonderful new year, mattD

Well, it just goes to show you, there is no substitute for "low & slow." Corgrats on a fantastic profit for your team! Ten Grand oughta help buy some good equipment.

I was thinking that a good consession would be tri-tip sandwiches because they take so much less time to actually cook. But your idea seems to be the best way to deliver alot of real, slow cooked BBQ to the masses, without cooking on-sight.

Matt
Great stuff. I wonder if I could ask some details regarding your costs & retail sandwich prices. I may propose a similar idea for a soccer fundraiser.

Basically I would like to know how much you spent on meat, bread, sides, etc and how you charged....by the sandwich, by the plate, etc.
And about how many sandwiches/people did you serve?

Also, did you need a license or permit?

If you prefer, you can email me.

Thanks
Peter

Hey Peter,
Well the frozen pork butt was about $0.99 a lbs. and averaged about 7-9 lbs. per. Buns around $2.25 per bag of 12, we went to Costco so they would be cheaper than your typical super market. We also used pre-shredded lettuce to put on top (filler) but the pork ran about 2 oz. per serving more or less, may not seem much but you have to remember the pork is shred /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif ded and the servings are just a guess because we did everything by eye. Somehow I feel weighing it per serving in front of everyone kinda takes away the fund raising aspect of all of this and people take offense at it becoming a business. We charged about $2.50 per sandwich but everyone would also buy chips, drinks, and other snacks. I cooked everything ahead of time and froze in vaccum seal bags. Just boil bags to heat and serve, with pork in foiled pans I was worried that the pork would get cold and greasy but as it turned out they would sell out before they got cold. I was able to smoke 6 butts per session 3 on top and 3 on bottom turning and switching positions at the 6 hour mark and smoking for 12 hours. Put in at 5:30 pm, shifting at 11:30 pm and removing at 6:00 am the next morning foiling and storing in the cooler till 2:00 pm then shred and store. Hope this helps... mattD

Great story, Matt. I can just imagine the taste of the other ones mixed with liquid smoke. Yecht!!!

Kelly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back