Notes (Plum wood, turkey and pork ribs)

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Munson

TVWBB Super Fan
Did a turkey and some pork ribs last weekend using plum wood. The flavor of the wood was very subtle. The wood positively accentuated the pork ?country style? ribs but did nothing for the turkey. My brother & I sat on the porch and talked for a bit on which adjective would best describe the how plum wood smoke flavor worked on the ribs; sublime or subtle.

So far, after all experimentation with different wood and cooking technique I best like the apple wood for flavor. I also like the idea for the injection and will continue to experiment. The plum did not ?add? anything for the turkey but was very silky on the ribs.

This time for the turkey I injected the bird with a honey / butter mix and did not brine the bird. The turkey was a manageable ~10lbs. I was able to keep a better eye on the temperature and did not over cook the bird this time. I used a 10? thermometer that was calibrated. Other than the injection, I oiled the skin and applied an exterior coating of Italian spices and a bit of spices under the skin. Next time for the injection I think I will try a bit of garlic butter mix. I will have to think about it.

Dave,
Another baste you can use is Ken's Greek Dressing Vinagrette. It adds a slight Mediterreanean flavor to the chicken or turkeu. If you do the high temp cook that Chris has on the home page this month it is delicious!

regards,
PrestonD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back