Not What I Expected - Brisket

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

G

Okay, I'm new to this and am trying my first brisket tonight. I purchased a 13lb packer from Sams and opened it up to trim, slather and rub for my all-nighter.

What I expected was to trim off a large amount of fat (the fat cap everyone talks about) and end up with a cut of meat that was relatively uniform in thickness.

What I got was about 1.5lbs of fat total to leave 1/4" of fat on the meat. Now, most of the fat came from a cone shaped depsit going through the center of the thick end of the cut, this area started out about 5" thick and after removing the cone is probably about 3" thick (as the top 1" colapsed int the bottom 2") then tapering off to 1" or so at the other end.

Did I select a poor cut, or a better cut?

Will it cook okay, being so uneven?

Any advice would be appreciated.
bkh

Whole briskets are comprised of two sections of muscle known as the flat and the point, which are connected by a vein of fat and connective tissue. Sounds like, in your trimming, you removed the point. Briskets' flats are typically thinner at the end under the point, but it's the fattier point that bastes this thinner end, keeping it from drying out. Most full brisket cookers cook until the flat reaches desired doneness, and then remove the point, putting it back into the cooker, and taking it to a higher final temperature.

Doug
Thanks for the reply. The brisket is still in one piece, although the cone I am refering to (the point you mentioned) has only about 1/4" of fat remaining. If I cook fat side up, will this thing still turn out edible?
bkh

It should be fine. As I mentioned, the point is a lot fattier (inside, too) than the flat, so you should be able to cook fat up or down, if you wish. If you're a burnt end fan, it might actually be even better than if you hadn't touched it.

The only other thing I would mention is to check the bag to see if it's a USDA select or choice. If your Sam's is like mine, the wholes are selects, and the flats are choice. In that respect, the answer to your question about selecting a better grade would be "possibly".

Doug
It eas labled as USDA Choice, odd how your Sam's would be different. I don't know if I like burnt ends, this is my first brisket. I'll let you know how it turns out.
Thanks for the help.
Any other tips are always appreciated.
bkh

Would be interested to know what your Sam's is charging per pound for choice wholes. Here, the choice flats are usually about $2.88/lb, and the select wholes are a little more than half that.

Interesting to note, however, that today I bought a flat there for $2.46/lb, and just assumed it was a choice like always. Inspecting the package just now, it's not labeled as either-- just National Beef, USDA Inspected.

I also noticed similar packaging recently on some whole beef tenderloins at another store-- no grading. The unusually low $8.99/lb was tempting, but I passed. Will have to ask at that store tomorrow, and see if I can find out what the deal is.

Doug
I payed $1.28 per pound, my 13.13lb cut was $16.81 plus Oklahoma's almost 9% sales tax (I don't understand taxing groceries, but that's another subject). I double checked the package and mine has a blue and red sticker that says "U.S.D.A. Choice", and says just "Choice Brisket" on the pricing sticker.

I got the WSM going and the brisket on at 8:00pm, Kingsford using MM with cherry and pecan two vents 1/3 open temp is about 230. I'm hoping for the best.
bkh

Never got around to asking about the lack of grading, but went ahead and cooked it yesterday. Fat side-down at 225° for a while-- two chunks of oak. Got impatient with a plateau at 174°, and foiled, fat side-up, with the intention of taking it to 188° at 250° and then resting it for an hour or so. Got distracted messing around reprogramming a remote control, and went out to find it at 201°.
icon_eek.gif
Before I could get my gloves on to take it off, it was at 203°. Rested it on the counter top for 30-45 minutes, until it came down to 160° and unwrapped to sample. Wife, strolling through the kitchen on her way to the back of the house, snatched a piece off the cutting board, and popped it in her mouth. As she turned the corner to go down the hall, said over her shoulder, "You rock...". Guess I won't need to worry about the grade so much next time.

Back