Not a Weber, but is this worth trying to fix?

Kyle TX

TVWBB Member
Everyone talks about how good PKs and the Duchesses are with their cast aluminum. I have access to a fab shop so I could have the holes welded up possibly. You think it's worth fixing?

At first I thought it was a concrete mixer! I don’t know about repairing the holes in the bowl, but that cast iron grate is stout. Is it being used as a charcoal grate? Seems to me that would be a waste of good cast iron. I’m wondering if it’ll fit weber. That could be worth it right there.

I agree it looks like a mixer. If you could get the price down, it may be close to worth it for the grates, if you want them. If the aluminum has that kind of ware on the bottom I would think the whole bottom is corroded / thinned to the point of no return.

Worth every bit. That’s a rare bird and usually not overall thin across the bottom.

Attachments

• 114D47F4-6B20-40C2-9DE2-3099AFC770AE.png
    114D47F4-6B20-40C2-9DE2-3099AFC770AE.png
    508.9 KB · Views: 21
  • C96F0F35-5CB2-4445-BBAC-81418BF56551.jpeg
    C96F0F35-5CB2-4445-BBAC-81418BF56551.jpeg
    206 KB · Views: 21
  • 74A1C82B-2243-498D-8CE8-8BA4D86D3C00.jpeg
    74A1C82B-2243-498D-8CE8-8BA4D86D3C00.jpeg
    134.2 KB · Views: 21
Really is a concrete mixer...
Actually could be pretty cool.
Put fins underneath and paint it like a rocketship.
That thing has potential. For what, I do not know. But it could really be a blast.
If a I had a man patio...

Last edited:
That is a very special grill made by the original PK (Portable Kitchens) company. They have a cult following of sorts - even a small FaceBook group. It is about the diameter of a Smokey Joe but tall enough to do more. With two bottom vents and the original flip-up grate you can even do a low and slow bbq pork butt. It will, of course, also do high heat grilling.

The missing bottom vents can be obtained from Johnny Joseph on the PK Fanatics group on FaceBook. He makes stainless replacements. I used a pair of his on my Duchess. As far as the burn-through, that is likely the result of a prior user just dumping charcoal in the bottom after the original cast iron charcoal grate was no longer useable. I wonder if you could make a patch with JB Weld Ultra High Heat. You may have to replace the patches now and then.

These are cool historic grills. Unfortunately, the "new" PK company has not decided to bring the Duchess back and does not support them. It looks like the seller has already gotten parts you need other than the bottom vents.

In spite of the minor damage, I agree with Mike-LA that it is well worth the asking price if you like cool, old grills. Also, the cast aluminum does radiate heat well, so they are, in fact, good little cookers!

Here are a few pictures of mine, including one of the replacement vents:

Cleaned up Outside from top front.jpg

Inside showing cast iron grate & trivets.jpg

Replacement Vent after painting.jpg

Everyone talks about how good PKs and the Duchesses are with their cast aluminum. I have access to a fab shop so I could have the holes welded up possibly. You think it's worth fixing?
Very interesting grill!

Back