North Carolina Bar-B-Que Sauce Receipe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi hl!

NC has 3 distinct regions of BBQ sauces, so, hard to give you one without knowing what region. Below is a link for them all. A VERY good resource for the various styles of BBQ throughout the country.
Regional BBQ Sauces

How does one pronounce hl?

Stogie,
Having competed twice in NC last year, I spent a great deal of time researching local taste preferences and what sell at the local BBQ joints. But what wins at cookoffs is still sweet.

I tasted the winner at Kings Mountain who later did a 180 (perfect score) at Blue Ridge and his meat was tender, juicy, and sweet.

I suspect that the meat was injected--confirmed with some others I met that sweet injection or marinade, sweet rubs, sprinkled on after cooking is completed (to avoid burning), and a spritz of apple juice, grape juice, or pineapple juice, is the norm.

Personally, I enjoy the BBQ in all three regions--having tasted the eastern shore version many years ago and pronouncing Bubba's (lord knows his location--I forget) as the best BBQ I ever had, until I managed to sneak a taste or two of Lexington BBQ, which as you know, is a whole lot different. My least favorite is the far west version, but again, all three regions are very enjoyable que--so long as you go to an authentic joint and not the chainstore variety.

My two cents

Dale

Well, a war could break out at any time over this topic...the historic eastern style is pretty much just vinegar and peppers, although I like to add brown sugar to mine.

The middle section of the state adds kethcup or tomato sauce, and boy o boy do they argue about it.

My personal favorite is eastern style (maybe cause I was born in eastern NC), but I gladly eat them all!

Hi Dale!

You are correct...no matter where we go, sweet still wins, no matter the region. I have not visited those regions, but someday......

hl......

Did you get that link to work???

Stogie,

Thanks for the Regional BarBQ Sauce Link! Very Interesting. Incidentally, I was intrigued by the "Owensboro Black" Kentucky Sauce. I think I read in "Smoke and Spice" that this sauce was traditionally used on Mutton. Which begs the Question:

Has anyone ever had any barbequed Mutton?

I'd appreciate it if anyone has any insight on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back