Non-Smoking Bacon Question?

Stone

TVWBB Super Fan
I got some of that Buckboard bacon cure, and put it on a 5 pound butt last week. I was going to smoke it this weekend, but I may not be able to. How awful would it be to cook the bacon in the oven, sans smoke? Would the resulting "bacon" be similar to pancetta? Or just cooked pork?

You will still get a "cured taste" meaning it would be that hammy pork taste. All you would be missing is the extra smoke layer of flavor. It won't be bad, but it won't be as good as it could be.

I'm guessing since the meat is cured you could take your meat out of the cure and keep it in a plastic bag until you could smoke it the next week.

To get a "pancetta" taste you would have needed to cure the meat with juniper berries. I'm guessing the closest taste you can put on it would be canadian bacon or ham.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Josh Z.:
I'm guessing since the meat is cured you could take your meat out of the cure and keep it in a plastic bag until you could smoke it the next week. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Excellent idea.
Thanks.

(Juniper berries? Hmm. What if I wash the cure off with gin?)

Back