non-reactive container?

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Howdy,

what is a "non-reactive container"? I have seen it refered to several times, usually when brining.

Thanks,
Troy

Troy,
A non-reactive container would be one made of glass, food grade plastic, stainless steel, and probably a few others I can't recall right now.
Acidic brines and marinades can cause a chemical reaction with some metals. This can result in a metallic and/or chemical taste, and possibly (depending on the metal) unhealthy substances in your brine/marinade. I'm sure someone else has a more comprehensive explanation.
Jim

Aluminum and Copper are the main 'reactive' pan materials. These types of pans are to be avoided when using acidic food types, especially tomatoes.

When I first started cooking for myself, I lost a favorite aluminun sauce pot because I wasn't quite so 'pro-active' about cleaning up afterwards. I began noticing drops of water forming on the outside and then one day a tiny stream running down the side of the pot. Upon close examination, there were tiny pin holes in the sides. The tomato acids ate right thru the pot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back