No WI FI connection

Mike Steele

My Heater Meter ver 4.2.4 has works great for the last year. But recently I have not been able to connect to my wifi. I have removed the Pi and it with the attached Ralink RT 5370 adapter work fine. I've tried reloading the firmware and resetting the HM. The resetting doesn't seem to do anything. I never see "Resetting" appear on the screen. It doesn't seem like the new firmware had any effect either. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Mike

Are you sure the Pi is booting the firmware image? Can you access the webui over Ethernet? Does the wifi network you're trying to connect to appear in the scan when you go to LinkMeter -> Wifi?

The "Resetting configuration" only appears on the LCD if you do the reset after the Pi is fully booted. If it just pops right back to the temperature display without saying anything, it means it isn't communicating with the Pi. That means either you didn't wait long enough (1 minute is plenty for any Pi unless it is the first time a new firmware is installed) or that it isn't booting up.

Are you sure the Pi is booting the firmware image? Can you access the webui over Ethernet? Does the wifi network you're trying to connect to appear in the scan when you go to LinkMeter -> Wifi?

The "Resetting configuration" only appears on the LCD if you do the reset after the Pi is fully booted. If it just pops right back to the temperature display without saying anything, it means it isn't communicating with the Pi. That means either you didn't wait long enough (1 minute is plenty for any Pi unless it is the first time a new firmware is installed) or that it isn't booting up.
The answer to all questions is no. How do I open LinkMeter? It always used to opened when when I entered the IP address. Nothing now.

The linkmeterd starts automatically when the Pi boots, along with the uhttpd web server, so if it boots then it works. It will serve web pages even without a HeaterMeter attached. It sounds to me like it just isn't booting up at all. What version of the Raspberry Pi is it? There are some LEDs on some of them that will blink as it boots to let you know what it is doing, which may give you some insight into why it isn't working.

It should blink like crazy as the kernel loads (disk activity), then blink fast (preinit), then blink slowly (services starting), then go solid (either off or on) when it is fully up. If it doesn't go through this set of steps at all, then it can't read the SD or the firmware is for a different platform.

The linkmeterd starts automatically when the Pi boots, along with the uhttpd web server, so if it boots then it works. It will serve web pages even without a HeaterMeter attached. It sounds to me like it just isn't booting up at all. What version of the Raspberry Pi is it? There are some LEDs on some of them that will blink as it boots to let you know what it is doing, which may give you some insight into why it isn't working.

It should blink like crazy as the kernel loads (disk activity), then blink fast (preinit), then blink slowly (services starting), then go solid (either off or on) when it is fully up. If it doesn't go through this set of steps at all, then it can't read the SD or the firmware is for a different platform.
The Pi is a model B ver 2.0. Light status is only a solid red (pwr) light. If I switch the sd card to the one with rasparian loaded and reboot the lights flash as you indicated. Same happens while attached to the Heatermeter board. Should I try a new sd card or could I have installed it incorrectly. Before I reloaded the files on the sd card I noticed it contained three patitions. Now it has only one. Should this matter.

Bryan

I tried a new SD card loaded with v14 and everything seems to work. I then upgraded using the webui to v15. I think i'm back in business. Thanks for the help.

Mike

Back