NO! thumb screws snapped off under the sweeper💩

Ahnika Worsley

TVWBB Member
Of coooourse it did!
And guess what... not ONCE... but TWICE! two different kettles 😭
I promise it wasnt user error haha 🤫. The third was fine. Heaps of wd40, gentle but firm force...
1/3 results. Cranky!

How am I going to drill this out???... 😫
When it's wobbling around and I'm trying not to wreck the sweeper blades 🥲
I have surrendered to needing to buy the replacement one touch cleaning kits but still want to salvage any pieces I can!

Attachments

• 20221113_172037.jpg
    20221113_172037.jpg
    215.8 KB · Views: 17
  • 20221113_172050.jpg
    20221113_172050.jpg
    243.6 KB · Views: 17
When this happened to me on my 20 year old kettle, I simply used a disk to slice it away and replace the entire thing.

Have you tried some WD-40 to see if you can loosen it? Don't kill yourself.
Yes 🥲 soaked it in wd40 for like 45mins to an hour. Tried to scrape away some build up..
They snapped almost straight away, that's how weak they were.

Tell you what... I did kill my hands yesterday just trying to budge the screws holding in the legs!
I thought that was mission impossible but I was thankfully successful in the end!
My gosh, palms are tender today though! 😆
Never want to handle another screwdriver again!

Ahnika, at this point I would just worry about not damaging the kettles and just getting the old hardware off. It can definitely be frustrating when you come across problems like this but I'm sure you will come up with a solution. Sometimes it's better to walk away for awhile and then come back at it when you're refreshed. Darren's suggestion is good if you have the right tools.

Ahnika, at this point I would just worry about not damaging the kettles and just getting the old hardware off. It can definitely be frustrating when you come across problems like this but I'm sure you will come up with a solution. Sometimes it's better to walk away for awhile and then come back at it when you're refreshed. Darren's suggestion is good if you have the right tools.
Oh 100%
LITERALLY JUST REMEMBERED I HAVE A DREMEL!
Going to give that a go 😅

That might just work, let us know how you come out!
Great success 🙌
Sad having the cut the thing off the K model more than the H coz it was the different shape haha
And definitely a bit of enamel chipped off the edge of the hole :( but it was already dry and flakey. Probably would of come away a bit when cleaning regardless

Attachments

• 20221114_161527.jpg
    20221114_161527.jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 20
Side note: Personally, I consider WD40 to *NOT* be a rust penetrant, and it's really not a good lubricant either. To break down corrosion, I keep a can of 50/50 acetone and ATF in the garage, as well as the obligatory can of PB-Blaster. Aerokroil is also some pretty darned good stuff, but it's a little harder to come by and is rather pricey.

Side note: Personally, I consider WD40 to *NOT* be a rust penetrant, and it's really not a good lubricant either. To break down corrosion, I keep a can of 50/50 acetone and ATF in the garage, as well as the obligatory can of PB-Blaster. Aerokroil is also some pretty darned good stuff, but it's a little harder to come by and is rather pricey.

Learn something new every day here. Thanks.

I don't know what your shopping situation is there, but there are several aftermarket ash sweep kits available for $14 -15 on Amazon that have mostly good reviews.

True that! 😅 luckily it worked on the leg screws but I'll be taking that advice for future situations, definitely! Thanks for the tip! 😊

Back