No thermometer for new WSM

Jerry Pollard

TVWBB Super Fan
I assembled my WSM yesterday. Need to use it Monday.I could not find ANY thermometer at my local LOWES or WALMART as discussed on the formum.
I have a whole butt to cook, it weighs appx. 11 pounds. IF i can't locate a thermometer, does anyone have any suggestions to control the temp
by setting the vents at some percent for a long cook?

Jerry,
They did not even have one of those kitchen thermometers with the probe (designed to stick in a roast or something) I just stick mine through a potato, and let it sit in the grill and it works like a champ.

Dennis

Jerry,

You can find a cheap temporary thermometer just about anywhere, including home depot. Just put therm in vent in top or through a cork in vent in top. If you are not using a therm you are basically cooking "blind" and must go by feel. I wouldn't have a clue as to how long your cook will take not knowing what your temps will be.

Jerry,

Home Depot should carry a weber replacement therm for $15.00 that I used through a cork in the top vent for a long time without problems. Ace Hardware may also carry this. You should also find a cheap meat therm at a local supermarket in the cooking utensils ailse without difficulty. You need both of these. They are essential. Mike

I urge you not to have an 11-lb. butt as your only meat for a first-time cook. An 11-lb. butt can take up to 19-22 hours at 225-250 degrees. I'd say go ahead and cook that big butt, but put a 7-8 pounder on with it, and plan your meal around the little one.

Jerry, I stick it on the top grate which is usually right next to be brisket. I am doing an overnight tonight, with a 14lb brisket on top, and 2 8 lb pork butts below..I had to cram everything in there...225 all night.

Jerry,
A candy thermometer available at any grocery, Wal Mart, hardware or cooking supply store works just fine. I have a Taylor candy thermometer which like all similar candy thermometers comes with a metal clip and when you pinch down on the clip it fits nicely into one of the holes in the top vent of the WSM. Mine has been working fine for 2 years.
Tom

11 lb butt for your first cook. You go Jerry!!
icon_smile.gif

If you get a candy thermometer check it in boiling water first. I bought a new candy thermometer made by Taylor last summer that read about 190 in boiling water! Surprising because the previous one that I had (it broke) was dead on.

Back