No "sop mop" - Suggestions

LarryR

TVWBB Diamond Member
I'm doing a Mr. Brown tonight and just realized I don't have a "sop mop" and I don't know if I'll have time to go to BBQ Galore and pick one up. Any suggestions? I have a basting brush, I suppose this would work. Any other creative suggestions?

The last (my first) Mr. Brown I did I chose not to baste, but I want to baste this time. Is it still a Mr. Brown if you don't baste? Hmmm . . .

Thanks in advance!

Could always tie a clean rag to a wooden spoon handle or some such thing, then cut the rag into shreds like an old fashioned rag mop?

But, I bet the brush would do just as well if you just douse it frequently into the sauce.

Sponges, Handi-Wipes, things like that should work.

Also, hit your local Lowes/HD and look in the cleaning section. You know anything designed with cleaning a sink will be safe. Also check the paint section for small brushes, toss them into a pot of boiling water for 5 minutes before use to clean them up. Or, heck, triple the amount of cyanne in your sauce and double-dog-dare the germs to survive.

icon_smile.gif

A lot of people don't bother with mopping pork butt (I don't, when making the Mr. Brown recipe), so you won't get into trouble if you don't do it. Or, you might try a spray bottle of plain apple juice or an apple juice-vinegar combo, or other liquid (fine particles of spices, even though the sop is put through a paper coffee filter, often clog the sprayer).

A squeeze bottle would work too.

Rita

Thanks for the input. After taking inventory of kitchen tools and misc. items I think I'll use a squeeze bottle to "drizzle" the southern mop over the butt.

Thanks again for the input and advice.

Ciao,

Supermarket housewares sections typically have what's sold as a dishwashing mop. Foot-long wood handle with cotton fiber strings. Works OK; pain to clean. Cheap enough to use and toss.

Back