No oak for pork butts.....what do I do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ron F

TVWBB Fan
Doing 4 butts Fri. night to be ready for Sat. night. Don't have any white oak, and cannot find any. Too late to order online. I have hickory, mesquite, and apple. Any thoughts? Doing the 'mr.brown' recipe....

Ron

Exactly what Joe said in your case. If given the choice (for pork), I'll usually use 3 chunks pecan, 1 chunk apple, 1 chunk hickory. Too much hickory, can make it ickory.

Ron, I always use Mesquite! I like the flavor it makes in the pork but Mr. Minion is right...hickory is the classic wood of choice for butts!

I'd do apple/hickory, or just hickory. But....you could always try a 3-way combo (prolly use just a wee amount of mesquite, and go heavier on the other two woods).

I ould think the mesquite too harsh on pork but hey ..there is always something to learn. I think you can't go wrong with a blend of hickory/apple. I love apple and love its taste on Pork its a sweeter and bit milder than hickory by itself

Yup - 2 parts apple to 1 part hickory. Personally, I detest mesquite on pork. 'Course then, I'm not just real fond of it on ANYTHING.

Keri C, smokin' on Tulsa Time

Keri, John, I third that.
icon_wink.gif
Threw a butt out when i first started smoking because of that noxious shrub/tree. Like it when grilling steaks though.
icon_biggrin.gif
Bryan

OK!...not worried anymore. Guess I'll go with the apple/hickory combo. I'm doing 4 at once, so how much smoke wood should I use? I'm thinking 3 tennis ball size chunks of apple and 2 smaller size pieces of hickory...

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back