No Hickory for Mr. Brown... what would be best substitute?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since I don't know beans about this smokin' thing yet and am just learning, I need some advice. I have no Hickory wood for smoke. I have Oak, Pecan, Apple, and Cherry.

I'll use the Oak as called for in the recipe, but which should I substitute for the Hickory?

TIA

Oak works well. In Texas that is what you get commercially. I grew up tasting hickory cue though. Down here, Wally World usually has hickory chunks and Home Depot always has it.

First choice would probably be pecan, as it is another nutwood. But apple and pork are good, too.

Unfortunately, Wally World and Home Depot don't have Hickory right now. The only place that has it is closed and Mr. Brown has an appointment with the Rev. Black in about 3-4 hours...

While we are are on wood, what trees produce what we call cherry? Are they only the fruit bearing trees or do ornamental flowering varieties work?
Charlotte is about to cut own many flowering cherries.

I think that it is the fruit bearing variety only .
I thought that I read somewhere that the ornamental trees were bitter.

I dunno about subbing for hickory - it has a very distinctive flavor. I find both hickory and mesquite to have strong flavors that are hard to mistake, while the other woods are a lot more subtle and without huge differences. Hickory to me has a resinous taste and is what comes to mind when I think BBQ.

It's kinda like asking "what can I substitute for lime?"

I'm sure a butt would be delicious with other woods but it'll be difefrent. Might also want to increase the sub wood since hickory is kind of strong.

I have not used pecan, but think that oak would be fine until you can get some hickory. Also try a gas grill type store. They may have different types of wood chunks for sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back