Night meal train wreck

C. Howlett

TVWBB Super Fan
So. My real estate career flamed out and I find myself working security
icon_frown.gif
on permanent graveyard shift.
icon_mad.gif
Social life; non-existent. Smoking time; limited. Anyways, a new food joint opened in my district; Slow Roasted Beef Sandwiches! Sounds good, right? Being skeptical, I knew it wouldn't be the best, but I hadn't cooked any portable food and I figured, "Hell, how bad can it be?".

Bad. Horrible. Possibly the worst ever. The portion was plentiful, but it tasted like it was boiled until it finally gave up the fight and became tender - AND tasteless. Seriously, I could barely finish it. The fact that this joint was attached to a gas station should have been enough to warn me off.

Anyway, I decided to get up off my butt and do some serious cooking. On my next off day, I purchased a 22.5 pound beef chuck roast which I dusted with a healthy amount of rub. $1.99 per pound at Cash & Carry. I used the TVWB recipe; TVWB Beef Chuck Roll

P9020016.jpg

This thing was so big, I had to split it between the 2 grills of the WSM.

P9020017.jpg

I calculated that this thing was going to need a good 16 hours or so to cook, loaded up a full charcoal bowl, tended the fire until the temperature stabilized and went to bed. The cook took about 22 hours to finally reach optimal temp. It stuck at about 145 for some 3 hours, so I took a nap. Upon rising, I found temps in the 200 degree range and pulled it. After a couple hours cooling time I opened up the foil pack. This stuff was not just tender, it was SPOON tender. And tasty.
P9030019.jpg

P9030020.jpg

I combined some chipotle mayonnaise and rye bread for some outstanding sandwiches. Better yet, I had plenty to shred, seal and freeze - approximately 14 pounds. Once again, this site rocks! Thanks, Chris!

Yo C - nice chuck roll work there my friend. Way to show 'em how to do it right. Make up a sandwich and take it down for them to try
icon_biggrin.gif

I am down in Des Moines right now and it's lunch time. What's your address and I will be over for some sandwiches. I'll bring the buns.
Nice work. Did you get that at the Southcenter Cash and Carry?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by r benash:
Yo C - nice chuck roll work there my friend. Way to show 'em how to do it right. Make up a sandwich and take it down for them to try
icon_biggrin.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Strangely enough, they've been closed for the past 3 weeks due to "Permit Confusion".

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jefferey:
I am down in Des Moines right now and it's lunch time. What's your address and I will be over for some sandwiches. I'll bring the buns.
Nice work. Did you get that at the Southcenter Cash and Carry? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I did indeed hit the Southcenter Cash & Carry.

Back