Nice Ribeye

LMichaels

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Normally when I do a nice ribeye I will get it on Big Z or the MM let it bask in some low to moderate heat until it reaches an internal of 105 or so pull it and tent under foil.
Last night we had some weird weather begin blowing up. So, here I am with a nice steak in Big Z clouds building and way too much time to go since the wheels of temperature change move slowly on a pellet grill. So I pressed the Wolf into service since for some high heat open lid finishing of the ribeye.
Once Wolf was screaming along pretty good, on it went. Was actually quite pleased with the result. Yeah there were "lines" which is "fine". But on steak lines are eye candy I don't have need for. I like a nice overall Maillard crust. Wolf did not disappoint here. Sorry no finished photo. Sirens were beginning and I was scrambling outside. But I did get a shot of the Wolf in action. BTW it shows how much power that thing has. I finished the steak and never put the lid down and full on high was too hot. I had to turn it back to Med/high. The other main issue I get on Wolf is it gets so blasted intensely hot the main underside of the upper grill body actually will ignite any drippings off the food and it can easily become a real conflagration. It's kinda like trying to drive a Chevette with a 427 under the hood. Fun but challenging :D But when the storm sirens are sounding and you GOTTA finish a great ally

1722946770792.jpeg

Normally when I do a nice ribeye I will get it on Big Z or the MM let it bask in some low to moderate heat until it reaches an internal of 105 or so pull it and tent under foil.
Last night we had some weird weather begin blowing up. So, here I am with a nice steak in Big Z clouds building and way too much time to go since the wheels of temperature change move slowly on a pellet grill. So I pressed the Wolf into service since for some high heat open lid finishing of the ribeye.
Once Wolf was screaming along pretty good, on it went. Was actually quite pleased with the result. Yeah there were "lines" which is "fine". But on steak lines are eye candy I don't have need for. I like a nice overall Maillard crust. Wolf did not disappoint here. Sorry no finished photo. Sirens were beginning and I was scrambling outside. But I did get a shot of the Wolf in action. BTW it shows how much power that thing has. I finished the steak and never put the lid down and full on high was too hot. I had to turn it back to Med/high. The other main issue I get on Wolf is it gets so blasted intensely hot the main underside of the upper grill body actually will ignite any drippings off the food and it can easily become a real conflagration. It's kinda like trying to drive a Chevette with a 427 under the hood. Fun but challenging :D But when the storm sirens are sounding and you GOTTA finish a great ally

View attachment 97582
Ya gotta do whatch gotta do!

Looks good.

Nice steak!

I really like those SS grates of yours.

My DIY carbon steel ones on the Wolf are failing. Will redo with SS rods one day. It’s on the project list!

Nice steak!

I really like those SS grates of yours.

My DIY carbon steel ones on the Wolf are failing. Will redo with SS rods one day. It’s on the project list!
Thanks. Custom by Dave Santana. I also asked him to try matching the original spacing of the CI grates it had. He kept it right about 1/4" maybe a hair less. And full 3/8" rods. No more losing veggies for me or having fresh pizza dough fall through :D

I did 3/8" carbon steel rods but my spacing was 1" on center, netting 5/8" gaps which I think is too much. It was based on hot dogs.

Next build I will tighten up the gaps.

When you get a chance, if you could confirm the 1/4 gap on yours I would appreciate it. Yours look right. My original grates are long gone.

Well I can tell you as tight as these grates are gapped, the original ones were even tighter. I did not go that far as Dave said it would not be practical. And honestly much closer I think I'd have a griddle :D. I'll try and get a measure on it soon

Back