NG manifold running on propane??

JohnS NJ

TVWBB Fan
Tried to look this up but never found an answer. If you can make out the picture, the flame is quite high and the setting is at low. All my other Weber’s don’t put out this much flame. Is this a ng manifold running on propane? Was thinking it might be a bad regulator but usually that’s a low flame.

Attachments

• 88CD5182-FBB7-436D-94F9-930084EB29D1.jpeg
    88CD5182-FBB7-436D-94F9-930084EB29D1.jpeg
    172 KB · Views: 15
I would say it is. From what I can see in your pic, it is pretty close to what it looked like when I unknowingly put a lp regulator on a NG manifold.

There was no way to get lower temps on low settings.

Gerry

this is what I was referring to. To me the flame is quite high on the lowest setting.

Attachments

• IMG_2308.jpg
    IMG_2308.jpg
    229.1 KB · Views: 10
That looks more like a problem with the burners. Have you cleaned them up good? Each hole should be well defined and no two holes should be connected.

yeah I cleaned it up pretty well. Nothing is plugged up. I'm just worried about the amount of heat it's pushing out even at the lowest setting. My other weber 1000 doesn't put out this much even at the highest setting.

Check the serial number label on the grill. It should tell if it was born as a NG model or an LP model.

Yes if that is on low it definitely looks like one of 2 things. A faulty regulator or wrong manifold

You could swap those burners into your other grill and see what happens. In the mean time, check the orifice holes on the other grill and compare them to this grill to see if there is a size difference. If they are the same size and the burners work OK on the other grill, you have pretty much narrowed it down to the regulator.

You gotta remember the burners don't determine flame. The amount of gas and the pressure of it going in is what determines it

I know that larry, but it looks to me like some of the flame is OK and other parts are nuts. I am thinking the burners are in rough shape. Swapping them to the other grill would rule them out.

I'll go with the path of least resistance. I'll change out the regulator, then manifold, then burners. Might not capture it, but the flames seems pretty uniform to me. It was windy outside and I had to put the cover down a little

Good weather today so did my troubleshooting. Wasn’t the regulator. Was the manifold - oriface was black and bigger. Previous owner just popped in the propane regulator. Likely the reason why there wasn’t a scale to hold the tank.

Back