Newer Vs. Older Vent Arrangement?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ron G.

TVWBB Wizard
I know that this flags me as a bit of an old-timer, and maybe I'm a bit out-of-touch with modern Weber kettle grills - anyway:

As far as I know, the "older" Weber kettles had the three individually-adjustable vents - much like the WSM. The "newer" models (except maybe Smokey Joe) all appear to have the single-lever and 3-bladed vent / ash scraper thing..

Q1. Is this correct? Can you (still) get an 18" or larger with the 3 vents?

Q2. For those who have used both - do you see any big pros & cons to either arrangement?

The new arrangement (with screw-on ash catcher) looks a bit more wind-resistant / less ash blowing around. But my guess is that the old vents allow better regulation??

i have both. each has its pluses and minuses. although i have finally figured out how to use both rather well i still prefer the three wheeler for most cooks. at this point i think you can do just fine with the one touch system if you just do a few simple things. i don't have a gold so can't comment on the ash catcher but i have no real problems with just the tray.

One nice thing about the old 3-wheeler is that you can control air flow by opening only one vent. In the newer one-touch, everything is symmetrical with air intake. IMHO...The older style seems to be better for slow cooking. New style better for higher heat cooking.

What Ernie says sounds about right. I can compare the WSM to the Performer.

Since the 3 vents give you a good visual on where they're at, I marked off the full open setting and the full closed on the Performer to let me know how I was adjusting. The ash catcher is worth it for me.

If the 3 vents on the kettle you refer to are the same size as the current 18.5 WSM, the new one touch arrangement could probably give higher temps when wide open. Depends what you want. I bet a 3 vent system could do killer long cooks.

Oh, and to answer another question on the post - if I'm right the only place you could get another 3 vent kettle would be on Craigslist. Not being made that way any longer as far as I know.

As of a couple of months ago Weber still had some replacement 18" and 22" Bar-B-Kettle bowls available but the woman I spoke with was under the impression that they're the last ones made.

I much prefer the Bar-B-Kettle for indirect cooking; it's the only style of full-size Weber I own.

Brad

if i see a three wheeler on craigs list at a cheap price, i get it. but ya hardly see them which is a problem. i've finally got my one touch to cook like the three wheeler so maybe not such an issue. if i had only one then it would be a three wheeler.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back