Newby

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

G

Hi everyone...newby here...what does it mean when you ask "is it time to foil"? when you are talking about smoking a brisket? Do you wrap the brisket at some point? Someone please explain...a brisket will be my first attempt.
Thanks, Steve

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> "is it time to foil"? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Foiling brisket and ribs creates a steam environment to tenderize and retain moisture. It works.

However some purists feel this is not real bbq and have coined the phrase "Texas Crutch" when foiling brisket.

"To foil or not to foil?", that is the question. When cooking a packer(flat and point) you shouldn't need foil, but when cooking a flat I think it could help.

Welcome Steve,

Basically it means that at about 170 you wrap the briskett in foil. Put it back on and it will quickly get into the 190's. Variations on the theme include adding apple juice/broth/stout when wrapping it. If your cut of meat is a flat 4# or less then I highly suggest you wrap it. My first few attempts at brisket we more like dried out shoe leather until I figured out how to foil it.

I rarely ever foil meats on the WSM, unless I'm trying to speed up a cook, or unless I'm doing a hot-fast five hour cook on a packer. When you're cooking on a stickburner, you can sometimes risk oversmoking meat if you leave it exposed to woodsmoke for the entire cooking time. I don't have that problem on my DPP Fat 50, but many other styles do. That risk is negligible on a WSM.

Foiling will speed up your cooking session, help keep more moisture in the meat, and can help you add other flavors into the meat by adding additional liquids and seasonings to the foil. It can also destroy (or at least soften) your bark, pull smoke flavor out of your meat, and can turn your meat into pot roast if you leave it there too long.

You can go by temp as Brian describes above, but color is also an excellent guide as to when to foil. Get the color to where you want it before you foil, as it won't develop any more color once it's wrapped.

Keri C

Back