Newbie to Smokin' but not Grillin' with Questions

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Found this site a week ago -- about the time my wife was asking what I wanted for Father's Day. So this week I'm gettin' a smoker. 99% sure it will be the WSM, but I have a few questions:

1) Will one thermometer suffice or do I need two?
2) I have grilled with Weber's my whole life and never used a chimney -- Do I need one for the WSM?
3) Does the WSM need to be cleaned after use?
4) Any other suggestions on "absolute must have" books or accessories with the WSM?

I love this site and once I'm up and running will be contributing on a regular basis. Thanks for any and all feedback.

Doug,
1. I used one Thermo for the first year. A polder probe thermo. I just hung it in the top vent to monitor dome temps, pulled it out to check the meat temps when needed and rehung in top vent. I imagine you can do the same thing with pretty much any thermometer, although instant read is more handy for meat temps.

2. You probably don't need a chimney if you are used to going without one for your weber. Many folks use the chimney as sort of a charcoal measuring device. Otherwise lighting charcoal in the WSM should be no different than in the weber kettle. Use what suits you best.

3. As for cleaning, treat your WSM as you do your kettle. Cleaning the WSM only prolongs its life, but Webers are pretty tough. I only clean out the ash and water pan. My grates get a good burn off after each cook. I have yet to clean the soot/grease build up on the inside of my WSM, because it helps keep my temps steady. I give the lid a good shake and thump it with my hand to knock off any loose stuff that might fall on my meat, but thats about it.

4. Must haves are the same bbq implements you use for your kettle grill. tongs, gloves, etc. A good rub and sauce recipe book is nice to have, but there are a lot of good recipes on this website as well. Get smoking and your wish list will grow (like any good hobby).

Doug,

Welcome to the site! You'll find all the help you need here from some very experienced members, many of whom compete.
As far as cookbooks go, I followed Chris's advice and got Smoke and Spice by the Jamisons and have been really pleased with it.
You absolutely have to try the BRITU recipe for ribs...it will make you an instant superstar among your family and friends!
I know you will enjoy your WSM! Have fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back