Newbie tips I would have wanted

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hey,

This site's so great I feel like an expert after 3 cooks (chicken, baby backs, pulled pork)! In case it helps any other newbies, here are some things I didn't know going in (even after a fair amount of TVWB research) and would have liked to have learned earlier:

1) What a smoke ring is: http://home1.gte.net/res004na/ring.html. So *that's* why my chicken tasted, as my wife said, "like really good ham hocks".

2) Can't reuse smoke-wood for another cook, except as charcoal.

3) Probe thermometers are the bomb, one for the grill and one for the meat. I've never lifted the lid except to turn/baste/remove the meat.

4) *Remote* probe thermometers are even better! I love being able to read the temp without going outside. Downside: I end up checking the temp once every five minutes, 'cause it's so darned easy.

5) Go ahead and get the oil pan. No mess, no fuss.

6) Don't count on BBQ Galore having what you want in stock--just order from Amazon.

7) I wasn't going to regret getting the WSM instead of the Kamado.

8) Mr. Brown takes his sweet time!

9) Don't waste your time on small cooks, throw a lot of meat on there and freeze the excess. Figure not enough meat is one of the reasons I've had to close the bottom vents almost completely (Minion method).

10) I could have been smoking for all these years instead of indirect cooking on a kettle grill.

11) Who needs alt.food.barbecue when you got TVWB. (Well, OK, I still read it--but not as much as TVWB.)

Number 9's still conjecture for me, since the most I've cooked at any given time was the pork butt. But I get the impression most folks have meat on both racks, to get the most out of their effort.

BTW, except for #10, I haven't really gotten bitten (at least, too hard) by any of these issues.

Would be interested in comments on any of these, or your own tips for newbies.

--Tom

Some things I discovered yesterday:

Just like people at the beach, chicken needs a little spray in the heat. I found (at the suggestion of many on this board) they like to be cooled off with a little Martinelli's Apple Cider every 1 1/2 hours or so.

Trust your WSM. Once it finds its temp zone, it'll stay there.

Helping the WSM to its temp zone was a whole lot easier than I thought it would be.

Be careful who you feed. The WSM cooks meat so good the people that you don't want around all the time (like the in-laws) will start asking when your firing the WSM up again so they can come over and eat!

Can't wait to try the ribs this weekend.

DWL

The biggest tip I can pass on is to control your heat from the bottom up.

MUCH easier to bring the cooker up to temp than trying to cool it down.

Biggest tip I can pass on is experiment. Then you will know:

* To learn from both your successes and your failures.
* That there is more than one road to success.
* To learn to duplicate your successes is to succeed.
* To expect the unexpected.
* That what works for me may not necessarily work for you.
* To trust your thermometer-- after you've checked it for accuracy.
* That just because you read it somewhere doesn't make it true.
* That this is supposed to be recreational, rewarding and-- above all-- fun. Don't sweat the small stuff.

Another tip: Twice more fun if you have two!!!
Double the production, twice the crowd and easier to test different receipes and methods.

"Don't sweat the small stuff"

That was the key to my success. And the hardest to learn.

I also wish I would have known how important calibrating your thermometer before every cook is...so you have accurate readings.

I wasn't aware that I would be learning so much about spices that I never looked at before owning a WSM. Which leads me to the biggest thing I did not know....

Now that my wife "KNOWS" I can cook (I've been hiding it for 7 years), I'm forever screwed into fending for myself. So know that when you buy this toy your cover is blown.

One thing I learned the hard way - go easy with the smoke at first.

I figured that unless I saw smoke coming from the smoker, then I wasn't "smoking". Boy - that was wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back