Newbie Summit Find and Rebuild/Conversion

Let's face it, that's why the original owner just put it to the curb. He knew what was wrong and didn't want to deal with it. Now MMyers has an opportunity to make the grill right again. There are still parts available for it, or maybe he can get something under warranty? It will be interesting to see what ends up happening.
If under warranty, then yes. If paying cash and time, it’s dead IMO. I’d buy a used one for the same money. Or not buy the Summit again. I’m on my second Summit and I’m about to sell my S670 as I don’t use it at all anymore.

If under warranty, then yes. If paying cash and time, it’s dead IMO. I’d buy a used one for the same money. Or not buy the Summit again. I’m on my second Summit and I’m about to sell my S670 as I don’t use it at all anymore.
Brett I can definitely feel the frustration in your words and I don't blame you one bit. I would be more than a little upset if I payed what I consider to be a lot of money for a top of the line Weber grill only to end up with these problems. On the other hand, I just may be crazy enough to take one that I got for free and sink some money and time in it to end up with a "new" Summit grill. That being said, I agree with you 100% that this particular grill is no longer safe to use as is.

I own a natural gas 2008 Summit S-470 (among a few other Webers, including a propane Genesis 3, a nat gas Genesis 1100, and a WSM) and in 2018 I was able to get a replacement cook box from Weber under their 10-year warranty. If you haven't already it might be worth seeing if that serial # is registered with Weber and possibly filing a claim. Too bad that the previous owner obviously never covered this grill.

FWIW, while the Summit continues to cook very well, the build quality leaves a lot to be desired, especially compared to my 1987 Genesis 3 and 1996 Genesis 1100.

Brett I can definitely feel the frustration in your words and I don't blame you one bit. I would be more than a little upset if I payed what I consider to be a lot of money for a top of the line Weber grill only to end up with these problems. On the other hand, I just may be crazy enough to take one that I got for free and sink some money and time in it to end up with a "new" Summit grill. That being said, I agree with you 100% that this particular grill is no longer safe to use as is.
Ahahaha. I knew about these problems many years ago. I’ve always bought mine used and I cooked on them real hard. Each summit ran me around $1k. First one lasted 10 hard years. Sold it for parts for $100.

Bought the S670 in 2020 and used it three times as I decided to sell my WSM 18 and commit to the E6 and go back to my roots.

So I’ll sell my S670 as it’s in excellent shape, with no rot at all, and I just picked up a S6 and will sell the E6.

Safety is always key. If the parts are reasonably priced, then do the rebuild. Personally, I’d go buy an E6, save some money and make better food. You all know what and how I cook. I’ll outdo any gasser 500% of the time.

You all know what I went through on these issues as well. Sorry OP cut your losses while you're ahead.

Back