Newbie - just bought a WSM!

Hi mick. Well it's Sunday and I guess it's all in the rear view now...:cool:
So , how was the brisket? I don't usually put the ribs on the grill...I like them just as they are from the smoker. But I can see where some folks might want to crisp up the outside a bit. To each his own , that's my motto.

let us know how it went , brother! And where's them pictures?

Overall it was a success, but there is room for improvement.

The ribs were awesome, tender, moist, held together but you could easily rip the bone out, tons of flavor. I was very happy with how they turned out.

The brisket was good, but not great. I tried slicing it but it just fell apart so I pulled it, great flavor but 2 issues: it was a bit dry and the bark on the outer layer was really tough. That being said, the leftovers the next day were great, juicier, more tender with even more flavor.

The wings on the grill were also really good, just put a little salt and pepper, grilled them and added a hot sauce/butter sauce...

I'll load some pictures tonight, it looks like I can't copy paste them but will have to host them somewhere to share...

Thanks again for all your advice, it really helped!

Dry and crumbly is overdone for the brisket. Sounds like overall you had a great first smoke. Sometimes for a party I'll do the ribs the day before and refrigerate them then the next day when they're cold I cut them into individual bones and then grill them to reheat. Normally I wouldn't take them off the cooker and then grill them especially if you used sugar in the rub or have put a sweet sauce on them.

Yes mick , sounds like overall you done good. Brisket is hard. I always do brisket by itself so I can give it my full attention...my brain isn't large enough for multi tasking and timing multiple items. :cool:

Back