Newbee here. Hope I did it right!

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Been lurking on the board for about two weeks. Read some awesome posts and absorbed as much as my brain could handle. I ordered my WSM from Amazon and the Maverick Digital Thermometer from GadgetSource.com. My WSM arrived a little banged up, but immediately called Weber (as per posts here) and they are fixing my problem. I did not let this get me down, so I fixed the bent up sections as best I could (within a ??) and got the Dremel out and made the cuts for the two maverick probes.

I fired up the WSM for the first time yesterday and did a dry run with some potatoes and wood chunks. Unfortunately, the only chunk wood sold around here is hickory and mesquite. She was hovering around 241 for about 3.5 hours on one chimney of Kingsford and a pan full of water, bottom vent closed. I pre-checked the thermometer and it is only 1 degree off on both probes. It built up a nice smoke coat on the inner walls. I fired it up again this morning with 1.5 chimney full of Kingsford and some more wood. This time I put a cheap chuck roast and a small canned ham on the grill to get a nice oily smoke film built up.

Tomorrow is the big day, I will be smoking 4 racks of ribs. I will report back as to what transpires. Thanks in advance for all of the great advice and coaching that this board/forum offers.

Welcome Jr Lew.
I was in your same situation about 6 months ago.
I had a lot of knowledge in my head (from this web site) but no experience. I've fired mine up every
weekend since I bought it and am making the best
pulled pork, brisket, ribs, chicken, turkey and one
my favorites beef jerky.
Don't worry about it, just do it! - everything turns
out great!
R.D.

Beef Jerky! Do you have a recipe to share? My wife is in the background shaking her head.

I also just ordered the WSM from amazon and the Maverick from gadget source. The theremometer came today. But the WSM won't be here till sometime next week. I'm seriously thinking about going to the store and picking up a nice pork butt or shoulder tonight. And throwing it on around 9 oclock or so and pulling an all nighter on my Weber kettle. Want to test the thermometer out ya know /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif Any reason to cook on the grill. I am really curious to see exactly what the temps are on the grate of my kettle though while cooking low and slow. I before always stuck a cheap probe thru one of the vent holes. This would be much more accurate. I think I will try some pulled pork tonight. Besides were going to my brothers tomorrow night anyway. He just bought a new house. I'd like to bring some pulled pork over mixed with BBQ sauce and have pulled pork sandwiches. They'd love it, and so would I.

Dennis, don't forget to be careful with the probes/wires and your grill. My friend burned his up the first time he tried it (which was on a grill). Don't let it get too hot.

Thanks for the tip! I was going to run the wires actually under the lid of the grill and hang the remote sender on the side handle. That way it's away from the top vents. As far as getting to hot, do you meant the temp of the grill? If so I'm hoping if all goes well it will never get above 275 or 285 at the hottest. Hopefully I can keep it a consistant temp under 250 degrees. So I really don't think that will be an issue. I think there good up to like 350 degrees. But as long as the remote sender is not in heat I don't think it matter all that much. Or I could be wrong. I guess I'll find out.

Yeah, you should be OK. My friend had used his in a gas grill. Oooops. /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

The cookout was a total success. I purchased my ribs from the local Sam's Club, trimmed the fat and rubbed them down good. Let them sit at room temp for 2 hrs and had the smoker down to 229 at grate temp (Maverick remote). It took a total of 5hrs and 15min before I could pull them off. Basted immediately with Sweet Baby Rays and 15 minutes later all the ribs, cole slaw, baked beans and corn bread was gone. Not a trace.

I went back to Sam's that evening and did a repeat on Sunday. Is it normal for the ribs to be eaten so fast...LOL!

Ribs??

I could have sworn I just set the ribs here on the counter. Kyle, you and your other 4 teen age friends didn't see them did you?

(Of course it could have been sweetened news paper and teen age boys would have eaten it).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back