New Year's Cook

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clark Stone

TVWBB Member
Finally we have some dry werather here in N. Cal., so I threw a pork shoulder on last nite about midnite (Mr. Brown recipe) for lunch/dinner on New Year's Day (well, I was up anyways).

I'm trying the sand in the waterpan method (Brinkman water pan). So far, seems to work fine-- good steady temp all nite and now at about 10 hours and still OK.

Anyone else cooking for the first day of 2003?

Clark

Hi Clark,
Just wondering if you noticed anything different in the pork roast. Was the bark deeper or crisper? And was the meat the same or drier than usual? Any thing that seemed different not using water?
Dave

Dave-

No difference in the pork shoulder that I could tell. I do baste with an apple juice spray throughout the cook, but it didn't seem different from using water-- I'm convinced!

The temp control was actually much easier-- it ran 15 hours at 225-250 with only 1 minor vent adjustment towards the end.

Claenup is a breeze!! I dug a small depression in the center of the sand, about 1 inch deep, and covered the top of the sand with foil. Cleanup is just pulling the foil (after it cools) and throwing it away-- so much better than dealing with that greasy water.

Clark

I also like the clean-up. I thought at first I would have problems with a slower start (cold sand vs. hot water) but so far no problems.

I have no proof but I am thinking I have a slight increase in operating temp? How much sand are you running with?

I think I'll try a side by side test with some chicken parts this weekend. One pan half full with sand, the other half full of apple juice. I wanna get the temp to 275*/300* and see if the skin is better. My chicken didn't do so well last year. /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif
-I'll try this first and if that fails then I'll finish it on the grill.
Dave

No temp changes that I saw-- it ran steady at 225-250 the whole time.

I run the Minion method, but leave the door off and let temps get up to 250-275, then throw on the meat and close the door. It usually settles in at 225-250 with the vents just cracked a bit.

I use the Brinkman pan and filled it to 1.5 inches from the top. It is heavy, heavier than when filled with water, I think.

Clark

As I am having problems finding a Brinkman pan at a retail store(to replace the WSM water pan. can I use the WSM pan with sand? And if so, should I fill it almost to the top (just to allow the foil to be placed in it? And (dumb question but) is there a type of sand to use (like beach sand when I go to the Stuart, Fl beach swimming today in the warm tropical sundrenched beach sand with gentle waves lapping at the surfs end....oops (got carried away) Sorry to all you northerners, forgot about all that crummy snow, sleet, hail, freezing weather, sholving snow, raking leaves, black ice.... and no, I am not giving you my exact address as I do not want 25 Hitmen converging on my house with loaded 357 magnums with a bullet with my name on it. /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif Oh, and I and my two boys just moved back down here from NJ this last August ourselves.

"Brinkman pan and filled it to 1.5 inches from the top"

I think that translates to a full WSN pan. I'll should add more sand. So far I am thinking I am running a bit hot.

Bob,

The hitmen are on their way...we already know your address and what makes you think they are only bringing one bullet.....?

6" of snow up here today....thanks!!!!!

Gentlemen, please, even on the left coast of Canada we don't get snow. Were not gonna believe that in MI you get to see the white stuff. Like ya eh?
Dave

Robert Wagner
Member # 743 posted 01-03-2003 05:06 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As I am having problems finding a Brinkman pan at a retail store(to replace the WSM water pan.
Hi Robert try Hawgeyesbbq on line for your brinkman charcoal pan to replace your WSM water pan. Hawgeyesbbq

"And (dumb question but) is there a type of sand to use (like beach sand when I go to the Stuart, Fl beach swimming today in the warm tropical sundrenched beach sand with gentle waves lapping at the surfs end....oops"

I just bought a bag of play sand and my local hardware store, cheap and works fine.

I would think beach sand (at least ocean beach sand) would have salt in it, which could be something you don't want in your metal cooker.

Clark

Hi Clark.

What you have is perfect. I bought a bag of play sand at Home Depot and it works just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back