New WSM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darrell Hill

TVWBB Member
I also just unpacked a new WSM and can't wait to cook something. I've explored this site many times, but now it's time to really do something and I realize I need some help. Everyone seems to agree that the first couple times I should do something like chicken which has a shorter cooking time and will add soot to the new unit instead of trying a long complicated cook like a butt.

The only problem I have is there are only a couple of receipes for chicken listed on the LET' Cook screen and none of them have actual receipes for rubs or mops. Could some of you please share your favorite chicken and rub receipe. Thanks in advance--HL

I've always found that any spice blend that I like, I'll like on most any pice of beef, pork or chicken. Use any particular mix that you already have and like. If don't have any rub/spice mix, then keep it simple, got and buy a container of lemon pepper and have at it.

I believe if you browse through the "recipes" forum, you'll probably find all kinds of stuff to make your own rubs and mops.

I usually brine or inject chicken then cook hot, 275-300, with sand in the waterpan to get a good crisp skin. Chris wrote about something like that in a recent newsletter.

I usually rub with a cajun seasoning, Emeril's or Paul Prudhommes, which you can make yourself. Stogie posted recipes for these a while back.

Don't overcook it. I usually go for 165 breast temperature, then pull, and let rest on an open platter for about fifteen minutes before carving.

Have fun and don't be afraid of tackling a butt. It's one of the most forgiving pieces of meat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back