New WSm Owner---Need Advice

S Newbrough

Just broke down and ordered the 18 incher from Amazon. I have been smoking on my Performer, which has been great,....but I decided to upgrade. Smiler

I have ordered eyelets from BBQGuru for my remote probe,....but I had one more issue that i thought might need addressed.

What is the approx difference between the reading at the lid thermometer and the actual temp at the top grate? Can this be approximated consistently by using the lid temp,...or should I do an install of a thermometer near the grate?

Most people will tell you 25-40 different from lid to top and bottom grate.

Honestly though, that will vary based on a few things.
- are you using water? Water may hold the temp on the bottom grate a bit lower as the cooler water will radiate more to that grate. Clay saucers and sand may actually have the reverse effect
- are you lifting the lid often. A closed cooker will heat far more evenly.

For my money I would say that grate temps are nice but not 100% necessary. The meat on the grate may effect the temp readings so even they aren't perfect.

I hAVE THE Maverick and use it for the meat temp and just use the lid gauge for cooker temp ! works fine for me but some here do get awfuly worked up over there lid temps not being correct I find mine to be just fine ! but YMMV just enjoy the cooking and the end results and don't stress over it . this is not rocket science
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Besides you can eat most of your mistakes
icon_biggrin.gif

Prior to getting a Maverick a few weeks ago, I used the lid temp exclusively and had great results. As long as the temp reads anywhere between 200-250 I'm happy.

I got my Maverick mainly for overnight butt cooks and daytime cooks when I'm too lazy to walk to the back yard to check the dial. I first measured the grate but got wildly varying readings so I switched to hanging the probe through the top vent. This seems to work better for me. That's my 2 cents.

I'm with the above. Keep the WSM in the "smoke" range on the gauge and you're fine. If it runs closer to the high end check meat sooner.

As for the Maverick, I have it but use it more to watch the trending temp than the actual number. Plus, as Jerry said, it's great for overnighters as it has both high and low temp alarms.

James

Back