New WSM...How much meat??

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I've been snooping on the site for a while and finally ordered my WSM today. I've done some limited slow cooking (ribs) on a cheap Char-Broil smoker - but never longer than 6 hours as the temperature was difficult to maintain.

I'd like to try and cook some butts for an upcoming party but I'm not sure how many people each 6 or 7# butt will feed???

Any other first time tips would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Hello John...

Welcome to the VWB ... Great to have you as a member...!!! I looked for you an answer and could not find one so.... Here is mine...

I don't know if it's just our south Georgia butts but mine seem to lose almost half there weight after smoking... Probably 40 to 45%... Therefore I always plan on a lb. per person of uncooked meat,that gives each person a little over a 1/2 lb. each. The ladies usually don't eat a 1/2 lb. but I had rather have too much than not enough... I always have some left over for the next day...

Hope this helps you and again welcome to the room!!

Cheers!!

bugg /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Hi John and welcome!

Bill is correct about his Georgia butt.....they will lose half their weight...even our Yankee butts lose this much!

So, plan on half for your finished product. As far as quantities go, caterers will plan between 3-6 oz. meat per person. It will depend on what other meats and sides are being served....the more being served, the less you will need.

The calculation then becomes.....

6 lbs. raw = 3 lbs. cooked
@ 4 oz.(1/4lb.) per person = 12 people fed
@ 6 oz.(1/3lb.) per person = 9 people fed

1/2 lb./person will end up being too much, BUTTTT, pork butt freezes so well, so why not!

Something to consider is that leftover pulled pork and many of the other meats we cook can be used in many ways. I make lots of tacos, burritos, enchiladas, tostados, chili, etc out of leftovers. As well as Atomic Buffalo Turds. ABT's are a jalapeno stuffed with something, wrapped with bacon, dusted with a rub and smoked or grilled.

Thanks for the help...assuming my WSM arrives by Friday, I think I'll throw three butts on for the first go 'round.

I'm expecting about 25 people but I'm also ordering 30 lbs of crawfish from LA. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back