New to the Stoker

CharlesF

So I'm planning on ordering a stoker for my 22" WSM tonight or tomorrow. Anything I need to know when picking one up?

Oh and has anyone found a better AP/Bridge than the: D-Link DWL-G730AP. I want something that could be it's own access point when traveling but bridge the home network most of the time. Cheaper would be better of course
icon_smile.gif

Thanks from the newb: Chuck

A Linksys WGA54G does what I need it to do. You can configure it Infrastructure (connected to your LAN) or Ad-Hoc (point to point) at a contest. Best of all, they're pretty cheap to find used on eBay.

-rob

Rob: I heard of issues w/ that device connecting to WPA encrypted networks in client mode. Can you confirm or deny that. It would be a deal breaker for me and I'm trying to get an answer ASAP.

If its anything like the WRt54g, it should be ok. I have my router setup to wpa2 and it works good with my xbox and stuff. I am going to by one for my Stoker. They said about 3 weeks. I just ordered mine.

I can't speak to WPA. I use WEP. IMO, it's hardly unlikely that your neighbors have the know how and hardware resources to decrypt WEP and play around with your network.

-rob

I heard the same thing when I ordered on Thurs morning.

The DWL-G730AP was confirmed by DLink to support the security I wanted (WPA-PSK). I have a WRT54g at home as well for my home router running a lynix firmware. I could have bought a second one but it seemed like overkill I'm hoping this simple device & form-factor will meet my needs. If not I'll return the SOB and by another 54g.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RobM (YankeeRob):
I can't speak to WPA. I use WEP. IMO, it's hardly unlikely that your neighbors have the know how and hardware resources to decrypt WEP and play around with your network.

-rob </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

True, and there are some other steps you can take to further secure your wireless network (even if you aren't suspicious of your neighbors
icon_smile.gif
)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RobM (YankeeRob):

-rob </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That may be true, but I know how, so I may as well protect accordingly
icon_smile.gif

Back