New to the Auber - what am I doing wrong?

Travis Smith

Cooking some ribs with my WSM today, and it's my maiden voyage with my Auber. Fired it up using the Minion method, threw my meat on, and set to target temp of 225. Two things I'm noticing:

1. Got up to 235-240 fairly quickly, then went way back down to around 175 without me opening or changing anything.
2. I've attached the alligator clip to the grate I'm cooking the ribs on, and I'm showing a difference between the temp of the grate and the temp of the air (measured using my Maverick) to be about 40 degrees, with the air temp being much cooler. Is this standard? If so, should I change my target temp to get the air temp where I want it (around 225)?

Thanks in advance, this is a nifty little gadget, hoping I can figure it out.

I put the alligator clip onto the Maverick probe, and fixed the temperature reading difference, but this things is all over the place in terms of temperature fluctuation. over a 1hr 40min period it's fluctuated from 182 to 270, and seems to bounce back and forth between 190 and 230 consistently. Very frustrating - I'm hoping this cook isn't ruined.

Temp log:

2:59 229
3:08 231
3:22 193
3:30 233
3:42 191

Well Travis. I learned that Superbowl Sunday with a dozen people coming over for the game is not the best time to start up a new controller. I started my WSM up early and the temps were all over the place. I put the meat on and gave the controller about a half hour. That is not much, but it was enough for me. I pulled the controller off, did it the old fashioned, reliable way. The ribs and sausage look great!

Smoking meat in the backyard is supposed to be fun and relaxing. All my ATC did was annoy me. I do know that most on this board have other experiences. But for now I am going back to the old reliable method (no ATC).

I have Aubers. You should be rock solid on temps with an Auber. Call them if you have problems. Not knowing how you set up your controller, I can't say what might have happened.

I have cooked all night with an Auber and get up in the morning and it is just where I set it.

Back