New to group and just picked up a genesis e310.

JLee-SF

I just picked up a genesis e310 from someone on Facebook and seems in good condition. After doing some research online I found this forum which has so much information on Weber grills. I thought I was the only one trying to restore an old grill and now I find a whole group.

Anyways after a few hours of scrubbing with bar keepers the exterior is like new; however, the interior is pretty worn. The porcelain enamel has started chipping off when cleaning it and the flavorizers are starting to rust. I found someone on Craigslist that actually fabricates these parts himself and sells them. what bugs me is the interior box of the grill which I believe is called the firebox? I tried cleaning the hood and firebox best I could but nothing but black marks everywhere and rust is starting to show.

I registered the grill but they denied my claim for new grates and flavorizers since I don’t have the original receipt. They are starting the warranty from 2012 when they first started manufacturing the grill. I wanted to see if it’s still possible to get replacement parts through the warranty or if I just got to purchase them? Anything specific they reject or they look for to get a claim approved? Not really sure what their criteria is for their claims. Any info helps. Thank you.

Attachments

• 2D0EA031-952B-495C-9515-94B290CC63AA.jpeg
    2D0EA031-952B-495C-9515-94B290CC63AA.jpeg
    217.7 KB · Views: 12
  • 14C948F5-E831-495C-B051-1D6DF9821B38.jpeg
    14C948F5-E831-495C-B051-1D6DF9821B38.jpeg
    167.6 KB · Views: 12
Welcome, where are you from? Pop on down to the Gas grill section if you already haven't and post your questions there and they will tell what you need to know.

J:
Welcome to the forum. You'll find plenty of people willing to help you here. It sounds like you may have found the go to guy for fabricating bars and grates. Rust on flavor bars is not uncommon unless they were stainless to begin with. If there are no holes, they do their job. Just need to be scraped with a wire brush. The grates you probably will want to replace and there are several options out there. You only need to scrape down the inside of the firebox and lid. Metal putty knife should take care of the firebox and a plastic putty knife will handle any build up in the inside of the lid. Big thing on the enclosed bottom grills it to keep an eye on rust on the bottom panel and where the casters go into the frame tubes. Also, keep the big metal drip tray clean to keep from having fires. Have fun and enjoy your new grill!

J:
Welcome to the forum. You'll find plenty of people willing to help you here. It sounds like you may have found the go to guy for fabricating bars and grates. Rust on flavor bars is not uncommon unless they were stainless to begin with. If there are no holes, they do their job. Just need to be scraped with a wire brush. The grates you probably will want to replace and there are several options out there. You only need to scrape down the inside of the firebox and lid. Metal putty knife should take care of the firebox and a plastic putty knife will handle any build up in the inside of the lid. Big thing on the enclosed bottom grills it to keep an eye on rust on the bottom panel and where the casters go into the frame tubes. Also, keep the big metal drip tray clean to keep from having fires. Have fun and enjoy your new grill!
Thanks for the pointers. I’ll look for the putty knives on Amazon and try this next week. The more I search on the forums the more it amazes me how much information there is on Weber grills. Again appreciate the help.

Weber uses the phrase "no rust through/burn through" in the warranty, e.g. 5 years, no rust through or burn through. This does not mean "no rust", it means the parts will not fall apart due to rust. And that rarely happens during the 2, 3, 5, or 10 year warranty period for whatever grill model we're talking about.

I would point out that even stainless steel Flavorizer bars develop something that looks like rust on the surface when exposed to extreme high heat and direct flames in these grills. You just scrape it off with the aforementioned metal putty knife or scraper.

Back