New to Genesis Grilling

JonathanHolkum

I have finally completed my Genesis 1000 restoration and will post pics soon to the thread, but I have a question. I went to grill for the first time on it last night and I couldn’t get the temperature over 200-250 degrees. It was dark and around 45 degrees outside and no wind, is it the ambient temperature that was the problem? Earlier that day it would reach 400 on low. Is the Genesis a seasonal grill or is there something I can do? I checked my line, checked the valves and controls, and swapped tanks.

No, ambient temp isn’t the problem. Sometimes it’s the safety device in the lp tank. You need to open the tank valve slowly with the burner knobs off. The tank safety will stop or slow the fuel if it thinks there is a leak. (Too much fuel flow if the burner knobs are on when you open the tank valve quickly)

Gerry

Agreed. quick way to see if is related to a stuck safety on the regulator is:
- shut off tank
- shut off all valves
- disconnect from hose from tank
wait a minute
- reconnect hose from tank
- slowly turn on valve
- light front burner
- light middle and rear and watch the temps climb.

If that works then it's likely that the regulator safety tripped.

When it comes to the bypass/regulator safety device, the most important thing is that all the burner control knob/valves are in the off position when you open the LP tank valve. If any of them are open when you turn on the tank, the pressure will not build up inside of the regulator to deactivate the bypass/safety device, which results in a low pressure (bypass mode) state.

If none of the above has worked you may simply have a bad regulator, you can also try tapping on the back of it with the handle of a screwdriver. Sometimes that loosens it up enough to work again.

Thanks for all of the great tips everyone. The grill sat overnight with the tank disconnected. I tried it just now and opened the propane valve slowly and then grill controls and it fired up and got to 500 degrees with no problem. This will all be good to remember if I have any more issues. Thanks again.

Back