New Taylor therm ?

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Got a new Taylor therm today via Amazon for $12.99 (free shipping-yippee). I followed instructions contained (boiled the probe for a few minutes) and turned the unit on. Returned the probe to boiling water and it won't register above 208'F. Is it defective? /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

bob j,

Are you high? Boiling point is affected by air pressure which in turn is affected by altitude.

The thermo's probably okay, but check out what boiling point should be for your locale and judge accordingly.

Sea level for all intents. Jim M. can verify that. I'll try again and see what happens.

212? is right on for us, so if it's off by four degrees you could still be ok. The problem is it always off only four degrees. I've had a Taylor therm that as the temps got higher it was off by even more. The unit is said to be + or - only 2?, it is off by 4? and could be a total of 6?.
I'd take it back and exchange.
Jim

I agree with Jim. Exchange it. I had a Taylor that did the same thing he's describing. It ws off by 5 degrees at room temp and off by 15 at boiling.

Not knowing the particular thermometer bob j's refering to, I can only relate my experiences---both my instant-read and my turkey fryer thermometers were off at boiling. Between the stem and the dial on these two there is a "nut" that when grasped lightly with pliers will move the dial to calabrate the thermometer. I can tell you that by using the above described recalibration, I was able to obtain an accurate thermometer.None of these came with instructions that told me to do that. I guess that you move the bimetal coil tighter or looser and are able to adjust accuracy. Just my 7 cents worth---

Tried again an got same results. One thing I forgot to mention is I was holding the probe. Heat sink? Going to do one more tonight holding with hemostats. Just a thought.

Right again Doug. Hemostats made 0 difference.
This one's going back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back