New Summit S-670 Natural Gas

Steve Zeitz

TVWBB Member
Just took the plunge and bought a new Summit S-670. This weekend my wife said for the 3rd time that I need a new grill. I have an old Ducane that I have already re-furbished once and it is both an eye sore now and falling apart. I am thrilled and excited with the 670 and can't wait to try it out. The sear feature is what intrigues me as I've never had that. I am sure I bought more grill than I need, but that mindset has never stopped me before. I'm also sure my wife wasn't expecting this kind of investment, but hey, I'm looking out for our future! Steve

You'll love it!
I have the S-470 LP grill.
So far I've grilled burgers, Rotisserie chicken and baby back ribs. It is a dream when controlling the heat zones. The IR burner is great for using the rotisserie motor function.
I used the smoker box but I ended up smelling more like hickory than my ribs. Still trying to figure the Smoker Box out.
The Sear station works very well.
I want to try it on some nice Stakes next.

Have fun and eat well.
Your brother in Christ
Van

Received delivery of this bad boy yesterday and it is awesome looking right out of the box. I plan on putting it together this weekend. I need to hook up the gas to my natural gas line (and disconnect my old one). I've never done this part before as it was done the first time by the plumbers who ran the gas line. Anything to be concerned about here? I'm not very good at taking pictures, but I'll try. This thing looks like a beast and I can't wait to try it out.

Originally posted by Steve Zeitz:
Received delivery of this bad boy yesterday and it is awesome looking right out of the box. I plan on putting it together this weekend. I need to hook up the gas to my natural gas line (and disconnect my old one). I've never done this part before as it was done the first time by the plumbers who ran the gas line. Anything to be concerned about here? I'm not very good at taking pictures, but I'll try. This thing looks like a beast and I can't wait to try it out.

There SHOULD be a shut off on the line ! Turn the shut off to the off position ! Disconnect from your old q make sure the male connector is clean wrap some plumbers tape on it enough to cover it and connect and tighten it down turn gas back on ! Now get some soapy water and put it around the the new connection and look for air bubbles comming off of it from a leak . and smell gas of course smells from somthing they add . If no smell and no leak fire it up and cook away .

A disclamer this was all there was to the 2 I have hooked up if its weird or gets you scratchen your head call your gas company

Originally posted by Guy Wallace:

There SHOULD be a shut off on the line ! Turn the shut off to the off position ! Disconnect from your old q make sure the male connector is clean wrap some plumbers tape on it enough to cover it and connect and tighten it down turn gas back on ! Now get some soapy water and put it around the the new connection and look for air bubbles comming off of it from a leak . and smell gas of course smells from somthing they add . If no smell and no leak fire it up and cook away .

A disclamer this was all there was to the 2 I have hooked up if its weird or gets you scratchen your head call your gas company
One thing to be concerned of....the size of the gas line. Your 670 is rated for 60,000 btus! Im sure much higher than your old Ducane, so youll need to be sure your gas line is sized to the grill. I think Weber specs out 1/2" black steel pipe or equivalent for the 6 burner Summits. Then also make sure your line that your tapping into for the grill is also at least 1/2", but preferably larger otherwise your grill will not perform like its designed. Youll probably notice that the quick disconnect is much larger than your old one...which gives you an idea of the volume of gas required.
Any questions contact your local gas company or a qualified HVAC person, just to be sure!

I finally got this thing put together and you were absolutely correct, the hose and quick disconnect valve is much larger than my old one for the Ducane. I will call my plumber who originally ran the line. Can they just replace a larger fitting to the pipe itself that my quick disconnect can fit into to, or will they have to replace all of the gas line which runs probably a good 40 feet to the side of my house by the gas box? I'm hoping it is just the fitting needing to be replaced, but whatever it takes. This grill looks awesome put together and I can't wait to use it. The grilling space difference is unbelievable. Thanks for any advice. Steve

I just ordered a Summit S-670. I'm having a guy come out to install a natural gas line and I saw this thread. Can anyone provide me any information on what the specs are for optimal performance? Is 1/2" pipe big enough?

Cheers,
Mike

Originally posted by Mike N:
I just ordered a Summit S-670. I'm having a guy come out to install a natural gas line and I saw this thread. Can anyone provide me any information on what the specs are for optimal performance? Is 1/2" pipe big enough?

Cheers,
Mike
I would start by asking Weber customer service. If the sizing is critical, your installer might need to factor in the number of elbows as well. My recollection from piping flow calculations is that the elbows provide the equivalent resistance of a length of pipe 30 times the diameter, so if there are a lot of bends, that may factor into the required pipe size. Or perhaps 1/2" is sufficiently oversize that any reasonable length is not an issue.

Back