New stoker-web

Gary,
The download link isn't working.

Also, what is the recommended upgrade procedure? Sorry if that has already been answered elsewhere.

Thanks,

Sorry, I yanked the download earlier today. I had coded the last service I needed, but it didn't make it into the war file. I finished that up and posted the new file.

Upgrade procedures:

Replace existing .war file with the new one.
Append this to the very last line of your stokerweb.properties file:
Code:
weather_url=http://query.yahooapis.com/v1/public/yql?format=json&q=select%20*%20from%20weather.forecast%20where%20location=
I forgot to add that to the release notes. Thanks for the reminder.

Got the android app. Thanks for your effort.

Next question...

Any of you own a Synology NAS? It would be nice to figure out how to run this on it.

Last edited:
I have an LG NAS that runs Linux and I've rooted it so I can get a root shell and run what I want. I don't think this device has sufficient memory and CPU to run the program, though I have not tried. It has only 256M of memory and a pretty slow processor. Aside from using a shell to change file permissions and add a GIT server, I've done little else.

I have to play around with tomcat or jetty and see if I can get them to run stoker-web with very little memory, perhaps 128M or less.

I used the new version over the weekend for a cook and it worked great. I also tried using the Android app and couldn't ever get it to connect to Stoker-Web. I could however get to stoker-web on my phone through the web browser so I know the connectivity was there. I tried it with the internal IP address as well as my external url and nothing worked. I tried using port 80 and port 8080 and nothing seemed to have any affect. I looked at the helpdoc and as far as I could tell I was entering everything correctly. Any thoughts?

I also have a question/suggestion. Is there a way to get it to to plot the temps for the food probe's on the graph? From a functionality standpoint you don't have to have that, but it is nice to be able to look at the cook and see how it progressed.

Thanks for all your work.

Hey Paul,

I also have a question/suggestion. Is there a way to get it to to plot the temps for the food probe's on the graph? From a functionality standpoint you don't have to have that, but it is nice to be able to look at the cook and see how it progressed.

Not sure I follow you here. All the food probes should be on the graph. Can you show a picture?

WRT to Android, I'm going to respect the wishes of tvwbb and not support or promote it here. I've posted a blurb on the google+ page. Feel free to join and comment there.

OK I'll switch to the Google+ page for the Android app.

When I did my cook I saw the gauge for the food probe which showed the current food temp, but it wasn't on the graph so there was no history of the food temp. I just assumed that was how it was meant to be since it was my first time actually using Stoker-Web. The graph only showed the blower and the pit temp probe. I'll have to setup the stoker to get an actual picture.

If there is a gauge for the probe, it should be on the Default graph at least. If you create a new log and do not include the probe, than it may be missing in that case, but all probes should be in the Default.

You can also check the log file to see if all the probes show up in there. On refresh, the log is parsed and the graph is built with that data.

A common complaint that I've heard about stoker-web was that it was too difficult to configure and run. For the non tech user it's difficult to setup Tomcat or Jetty, configure and deploy stokerweb and then get it to work correctly.

I've created a standalone jar file which has an embedded jetty server and will make stoker-web easier to run. Two simple commands with editing the properties files in between and you're running...

The new File: runStokerweb.jar

Requirements: Java 1.7 installed

Using:

c:\path_to_java1.7\java -jar runStokerweb.jar

This will extract all the necessary files to your STOKERWEB_DIR, it that variable does not exist the files will be exacted to the current directory. If you are an existing stoker-web server and have files already in your stokerweb-dir, they will not be overwritten. If the login.properties file does not exist, and empty one will be created and you'll be asked to create a new user.

Modify the stokerweb.properties file and then runStokerweb.properties files, adding correct settings for IP address, email, etc.

Launch stokerweb with the same command:

c:\path_to_java1.7\java -jar runStokerweb.jar

That simple.

For the most part it is working, but I have a little more work to do with logging and then a little more testing. Hopefully, it will be ready by this weekend.

I've posted the first release of runStokerweb.jar. It is an executable Java jar file that will extract all the required files and then run the embedded version of Jetty.

See the project page for the download info and instructions.

Run Stokerweb Wiki Page

Run Stokerweb download

If you intend to use runStokerweb.jar, you do NOT need to download the war file. It is contained within the jar.

The experts can still download the war file as they have before and run in your favorite servlet container. The updates to 0.4.1 are additional shutdown logic for the Tomcat manager and fixes for the buttons becoming disabled if the browser if refreshed.

Feedback is always welcome.

Can a non-tech guy get this running?
I understand command prompts and jar file but lost as to how to get it to load or run.
Am I missing something with <path_to_java> ????????

Last edited:
Hello Casten,

I tried to make it as easy as I could without using an installer program. The path to java would be the full path to the java program if it is not already in your path.

First try just this command:
Code:
java -jar runStokerweb.jar

If you get the error:
Code:
'
java' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
Then you will need to add the full path to the java program. That can be in different places on your machine, so that is why I can't add it to the instructions:
Code:
"c:/Program Files/java/jdk1.7.0_17/bin/java" -jar runStrokerweb.jar

If you don't have java version 7, then you'll have to download it from Sun

http://java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

You can change the install path during the install if you wish. I usually don't put it in Program Files to avoid the space in the path name. I install it to something like C:\Java\jdk...

Hope this helps.

Gary

Gary

I've tried to install using the .jar file in the Terminal window but I keep getting the following error message:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: com/gbak/sweb/run/RunStokerweb : Unsupported major.minor version 51.0
at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass1(Native Method)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClassCond(ClassLoader.java:631)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(ClassLoader.java:615)
at java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(SecureClassLoader.java:141)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(URLClassLoader.java:283)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$000(URLClassLoader.java:58)
at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:197)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:190)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:306)
at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:301)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:247)

I'm running Mac OS 10.8, Java Rev 7 Ver 21.

thanks

From the error it does not seem like the version of Java is correct. Make sure you don't have multiple version of Java and that the wrong one is being used to run stokerweb.

You can try from the command line on the Mac to make sure you are executing it with the correct version of Java:

java -version
java -jar runStokerweb.jar

Gary

I can finally confirm that stoker-web runs on a Raspberry Pi. I purchased a model b, installed Raspbain and then Java. Running the last release of runStokerweb.jar it came right up, easy as pie.

Given the speed of the raspberry, it took a while to start, about 2 minutes, but it consumes little CPU while operation, usually about 2%. It will spike up when refreshing or doing other operations, but it seems to run fine. I have a cifs mounted partition to a NAS device, so everything is stored externally.

I don't intend to run X on the raspberry all the time, but I did it for the sake of this shot:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz1wq2Dc0pmVOGxvbVFkd2hsaWc/edit?usp=sharing

I have been working on other enhancements for both Stoker-web and stoker-web android, but they have been slow coming. Hopefully in my time off over the next month, I can get something new out.

Hi Gary, Just signed up to say how much I am enjoying your Stoker-web software! It's the best working Stoker monitoring app out there. Thanks again!

Back