New Stoker Temp Swings...

D Arita

TVWBB Fan
Just got my Stoker fired up for the first time. I started it when the pit temp was about 250, headed for a target of 275. The fan turned on and temp rose slowly and overshot by 10 degrees. The fan didn't come back on again until the cooker fell to 260. Again the temp overshot, this time to 290. This kept repeating for the 2 1/2 hour cook.
Top vent was barely open and probe was clipped to the dome therm. What am I doing wrong?

An ATC should be started when the cooker is assembled and a few lit coals are added to the unlit. No water, no ceramic heat sink.

The point of an ATC is to control the burn, something that is more difficult to do if the coals are going and the temp is already rising when the ATC is started.

My rookie mistake with the Stoker (a few times) was starting with too much lit. The blower's job is to bring temperature up but it has no effect once you've overshot your set temp. If you're cooking Minion Method, fill your ring per usual, but only add a few larger pieces of lump or a few more briqs spread evenly. Some suggest a quarter chimney to start. I've found this is too much. You might think the chimney looks way too empty but 4-5 pieces of hot lump will get you up to 225-275F within 45mins and will hold just fine.
I clip my Stoker therm to the grate as close to the meat as possible, maybe an inch away. The heat at the lid will be different than the grate.
Per Kevin, start the ATC as soon as the cooker is assembled. No water, no clay.
I find the time it takes to get the pit to temp with the ATC allows some of the early smoke to burn away. Some don't like the early whitish smoke and others swear by waiting all the way to thin blue smoke. This just burns fuel. I tend to put my meat on 15 to 20 minutes after setup. You'll see a short temp dip but, if the burn is progressing properly, it will recover pretty quick.
Finally, Rock's suggests closing the top vent to 25% for the cook. I've always left it at 100% with no issues. The only exception is on windy days where, no matter how rigid you are, the temps still swing.
Long post, short answer is start with less lit.

One would think it should come on much sooner. I do not know the Stoker per se, but most ATCs are similarly designed (someone can correct me if I am mistaken).

The ATC should come on from the get-go - because you should use very little lit fuel - and no heat sink - at the beginning. Brief bursts of the fan interspersed with periods of no fan will allow the unlit fuel to slowly ignite and the ATC to control the temp rise all the way to the target.

The blower should come on until you hit your set temp. It will then stop. It will come back on when you drop a degree below and stop when you hit the temp again.
Set temp - 250F
249F - On
251F - Off
247F - On
250F - Off

This is what it does.

Originally posted by D Arita:
Can anyone answer if it is normal for the fan to come on 15 degrees below target temp?
Usually yes. There is special filtering going on to stop oscillations. Stoker learns over time how slow it should respond to fluctuations. If it thought it really overshot the temp, it may wait a while to turn on the fan.

That said, 15 degrees is pretty excessive and it should always trigger the blower.

BTW, feel free to test the stoker indoor. Run it and simulate up and down temp change by holding on the probe tip to heat it up above room temp, and a glass of water with ice in it to lower it. It is a good way to test and become comfortable with stoker. Run stokerlog so that you can see how the temps fluctuate and adjust.

If you are using any extension cables for your pit probe and fan, make sure the probe and fan are on different extension cables. When the fan runs, it will give you false readings on the pit probe. This can cause the fan to cycle on and off due to misread pit probe temps.

Based on my experience using Guru ATC many times.

1. You say you "started it" when the pit temp came up to 250 deg. Don't do that, it should be on as you place the lit on top of the fuel. Let the ATC bring it up to temp from the very beginning. I.E. from 0 degrees the ATC should be controlling the fire, including the start. Very important. I think this is the key to the experience you had.

Other stuff to consider:

2. You need to start with less lit. I would use the minimum. I use lump and take some care to see that it's stacked well to eliminate air pockets. I use 10-15 lit briquettes arranged on top. Let the ATC do the work of bringing the fire up to temp. Next cook start with 10. It might take a little longer to come up to temp, but the ATC will do the work.

3. Bottom vents all closed, top vent open.

4. The fan will come on from the start. It will typically stay "cycled on" longer during the start.

5. During the cook, it "learns" and cycles for shorter periods. Sometimes only seconds at a time. This is normal.

6. Very important - regardless of ATC or not an over under of 25 degrees is meaningless. Your indoor oven is most likely off this much or more and you aren't checking it every 15 minutes
icon_smile.gif

As long as the ATC is trying to adjust for over/under by cycling the fan it's working properly IMHO. You still have to have some knowledge of fire control, the ATC alone doesn't eliminate that skill.

Do you have an air leak/out of round condition? If you think this is possible, place a "seal" off foil between the bottom and mid section joint to see if it makes a difference.

I typically see very minor swings in temp with the ATC as long as any/all of the above are covered. With my ATC it will cycle/learn as well based on the food temp, pit temp, and whether the lid has been just opened. Pretty sure the Stoker does that too. So just be aware that fan time is dependendant on more than just one factor.

Originally posted by Amir:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by D Arita:
Can anyone answer if it is normal for the fan to come on 15 degrees below target temp?
Usually yes. There is special filtering going on to stop oscillations. Stoker learns over time how slow it should respond to fluctuations. If it thought it really overshot the temp, it may wait a while to turn on the fan.

That said, 15 degrees is pretty excessive and it should always trigger the blower.

BTW, feel free to test the stoker indoor. Run it and simulate up and down temp change by holding on the probe tip to heat it up above room temp, and a glass of water with ice in it to lower it. It is a good way to test and become comfortable with stoker. Run stokerlog so that you can see how the temps fluctuate and adjust. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Amir,
I will be doing some testing inside the house as you suggested...good idea and more controllable. Many good suggestions here.
I really want to find out why my stoker fan is regularly coming on 15 degrees below target. As Amir stated, seems kind of excessive to me as well. Wouldn't that just set it up for an overshoot?

I have 2 cooks on my new stoker and some pretty large temp swings. I set the stoker at 350 for a 11 lb rib roast and was seeing up to 25 over and up to 25 under. WSM 22 with all vents closed and exhaust 1/8 inch open. I also noticed while testing, if the the target temp is say 5 degrees over the pit temp, the fan comes on in short bursts. But when its more than that my fan is coming on for 30-45 seconds. I think all that air is causing the huge overshoots. I am also having a problem with Stokerlog V6.7 not showing the Fan at all on the graph. But the fan indications work great if I use Stokerlog V4.1. Anyone have any suggestions?

Yeah, a little. After spending that much on it, I was hoping to see a lot more stability. I did use a full chimney of lit so maybe that is part of the problem. I am cooking two butts tomorrow so I will try the minion with a dozen lit on top. Hopefully that helps.

I did use a full chimney of lit so maybe that is part of the problem.
Yes that's the problem. Not even part of it. The problem.

Again, ATCs are designed to control temps from the get-go. If you light the cooker yourself - as you did and then some - it is nearly impossible for it to function correctly.

4-8 lit coals to start. Period.

I set the stoker at 350 for a 11 lb rib roast and was seeing up to 25 over and up to 25 under
How much lit did you start with? Where is your lid vent set? Anything in the pan?

How much lit did you start with? Where is your lid vent set? Anything in the pan?

Full Chimney. Lid Vent 1/8" open. Empty pan.

I will try tomorrow with 8 lit and see how that goes. Thanks for your advice. I am very appreciative to have a place to go to learn the ins and outs.

Originally posted by Scott Nicola:
Yeah, a little. After spending that much on it, I was hoping to see a lot more stability. I did use a full chimney of lit so maybe that is part of the problem. I am cooking two butts tomorrow so I will try the minion with a dozen lit on top. Hopefully that helps.

Hi Scott - You need to stop doing that, and your problem will go away. It's the root cause.

You are using an ATC. Use 10-15 lit (or even less) and turn on the ATC. It will bring you up to temp. You are over loading with lit.

An ATC is designed to control the fire from the start. Don't try to "bring it up to temp" let the ATC control the whole thing. You just need to kick start it with a few lit as above.

All bottom vents closed, top vent open. Let the ATC control all air going to the fire as well as the draft.

Surprised the Stoker instructions aren't making similar recommendation?

Even without the ATC this would be too much lit to control temps on the way up and be hard to stabilize IMHO.

Stoker manual gives surprisingly little in the way of instructions on how to actually use the unit with your cooker. I know every cooker is different and Stoker can be used on many, but 95% seems to be devoted to non-cooker instruction. Most of the questions I read on forums have to do with using the stoker with your cooker. Wish stoker would give more cooker-stoker instructions.

Five hours into the cook and the Stoker is staying very steady. The tip to start with 10-12 lit seems to be paying off. Thanks a ton. Now for the Fan indicator on the graph.... I am not getting any fan indication on the Stokerlog V6.7 graph. I can see the fan working on Stokerlog V4.1. Anyone have this issue or know what I am doing wrong?

Back