New Stoker Blackbox *OUT OF THE BOX ISSUES*

Hello Everyone,

I hope you all are doing well. I had saved up some cash and decided to drop it on a stoker unit for my WSM. I got the stoker in last week, and over the weekend decided to get it out and play with it. That is where I ran into some trouble.

I'm writing to see if anyone here can offer me some advice on what I need to do. While I am a noob here at the site, I'm no noob to BBQ, and no noob to networking; so please keep that in mind if you are able to respond and help!
icon_smile.gif

While waiting for my items to arrive, I had watched all the stoker videos, trolled the websites, read all the info I could get my hands on, etc.

After opening the box, I got the unit out, plugged all the sensors in, powered it on, and everything tested out good. Now to get it connected to the network...

I got out a known working CAT5 ethernet cable, plugged it into my router, tested the cable on a desktop for connectivity, and then proceeded to plug it into the back of the stoker.

Upon doing so, I was not able to get any connectivity on the stoker unit. The green and orange lights that normally light up when they detect POE (power over ethernet) or any ethernet activity never come on. It will not obtain an IP address, and I am wondering if it's defective, or if I'm missing a step here.

I've left voicemail at rocks, they haven't returned my call, or my emails, and now their voicemail is full.

Any suggestions on what I should do? Is there a better way to get in touch with Rocks to get an RMA, or a return?

Has anyone else experienced a similar issue and know if I am just doing something wrong?

Any help is appreciated,

Thanks,

Jeremiah

Jeremiah,
Make sure that Wifi is disabled on your Stoker. Reboot and look at the IP address. To setup your stoker type that address into your browser with /wifi.html.

Good luck
Joe

My stoker's enet port also doesn't show link/act, but it is working.

I don't know if the newest models are shipping with the wifi enabled. If so, you should see Connecting with WiFi during boot. If you don't see that, connect your cable and follow the directions for setting up dhcp and wifi. You should be able to log into your router and see the new device.

Also, remember that the IP address will show up in another menu location depending on if it is wifi enabled or not.

Jeremiah, I am sure Kevin or John will get back with you ASAP. They have had a busy few weeks and a busy weekend. In the mean time, let me offer a couple pieces of info:

1) The ethernet activity lights do NOT light up on MY black box unit, i think, so that may not be a good test. At least I cannot recall them lighting up when playing with it yesterday.

2) Did you double check your are using a straight ethernet cable, and NOT a cross over cable? (I know .. I know ....)

3) If it were me, I would select the "Clear DB" option from the stoker menu and try again. This will erase any probe names or claibration you have done, but at this point would certainly be worth trying as those are easy to perform.

4) Is your router set up to hand out DHCP addresses?

5) Send them an email as well.

I'd be glad to respond to any other questions you have here. I just got my black box Saturday, and had been using a white box with wireless bridge for a couple years as well.

I managed to get it connected. I wound up resetting the stoker back to factory default, resetting the ip address, and putting it back into dhcp mode.

Once I did that, and then reconnected, it was able to ping the device and obtain an IP address.

We are now in business!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jeremiah H (Bo$$HoGG):
I managed to get it connected. I wound up resetting the stoker back to factory default, resetting the ip address, and putting it back into dhcp mode.

Once I did that, and then reconnected, it was able to ping the device and obtain an IP address.

We are now in business! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
It definitely seems this is becoming a trend.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jeremiah H (Bo$$HoGG):
Did they compete in a competition this weekend? I figured that was the reason it might be taking a while for them to respond to my email and return calls. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Rocks competed in Mesa AZ at a dual (SAT & SUN turn ins) event:
Saturday saw 1st place calls in ribs and brisket, and 4th overall in a great field!

Back