New smoker from Winnipeg, Canada!

Sam Borys

TVWBB Member
Hi everyone! I just recently was married in the beautiful state of California to a beautiful Alaskan bride and we are now back to my home town of Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada.

The ONE gift on our registry I asked for I got... An 18.5" WSM!!!

Anyway, to keep this short I'd just like to say how excited I am to start posting here and to soak in some tips to get my smoker honed to perfection.

things I've smoked so far:
-one 5# pork butt....overnight...(thermometer probe went out on me at 3am. Outcome wasn't nearly as bad as it could have been!)

Things I want to try:
-carne asada of some sort. Can't find a lot of good Mexican in Winnipeg so I want to see what kind of a spin I can put on it with my WSM.

Anyway, look forward to chatting with everyone!

Here's a post I made in a different forum with a few pictures from my overnight smoke.

It ended up being somewhat of a frustrating night, as I had issues with my Maverick Thermometer (relatively disappointing, especially after all the good things I'd heard about them. One bright spot was that they sent me two brand new probes when I told them it had malfunctioned)

note: I was pretty tired from being up all night checking my smoker and was a little cranky that things didn't turn out perfectly.

Ugh, what a nightmare!!! Things could have literally not gone any worse, short of burning my house down

Let me write my play by play as if all things went well and it was a successful smoke.

Here's my pork butt! All pink and cute and ready to go. I ended up cutting it in half because it was enormous.

IMAG1383_zps3fd9efb6.jpg

Went outside to prepare my smoker. Loaded up the grate with Briquettes (knew I wanted to smoke it for a solid 10 hours over night and knew there might be rain...so I filled it up. Might have been too much in hindsight)

IMAG1387_zps301fe02f.jpg

Here's my chimney starter with the coal just about right.

IMAG1395_ZOE006_SHOT_zpsdd97c22d.jpg

Blammo. Minion method etc etc etc

IMAG1397_zps2babc64a.jpg

This is a view of my setup, waiting for the temperatures to hit. I soaked down all the wood around it just in case but there was a good buffer zone around the smoker that I wasn't worried about burning anything down.

IMAG1402_zps722a8053.jpg

IMAG1401_zpsfdc70443.jpg

This is my pork butt with rub and mustard

IMAG1392_zpse9b67e25.jpg

Here's me relaxing in my living room, thinking all was good and proper, waiting for the grill to hit 225 :mad: (Temperature gauge was ok, but I only had the one BBQ probe working at the moment...the food probe was dangling outside in the 77 degree air)

IMAG1400_zps893daf84.jpg

This was my meat after I took it off this morning, wrapped it in foil and put it in the oven at 156 degrees.

IMAG1404_zpsc0b9b0bc.jpg

Welcome Sam! Congratulations and best wishes to you and the new bride! You must have great friends to get a new WSM as a wedding present! Great pics, too…keep 'em coming!

Hiya Sam, and Congratulations Mr & Mrs Borys!!!!!!!
Can I ask, in your diagram are the headings 'Time - °C - °F' if so then, I think your thermometer may be malfunctioning.

Gary

Back