New Project Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Little

TVWBB Member
I'm going to try a pretty ambitious project and was wondering if anyone had some suggestions. I want to take 2 22.5 kettles, make a table and cut out a circle and insert one on each end flush with the top of the table. I want to leave about 18-24 inches between them so I can have a prep area. I was wondering if I could use wood or is there enough heat generated on the sides to ignite the table. I was going to put a nice slate tile on top for a surface. I'm just concerned about the sides where the kettle will "nest". I'm using 2 22.5's so I can have many different cooking options and temps whether I'm cooking for 2 or 10.

I have thought about that also but with just one grill. For the top I would use plywood with cement board on top of that. Should be plenty for the heat and would good to lay the tiles on.

Here is Mesa Azul. I have shown this here before, but here's what I came up with this design. I was going to do exactly what you are talking about. The problem I thought about was what do you do with the lid? You need to put the lid somewhere. If you just cut a hole where do you hang it? So I decided to cut out the ends and use the kettles from a platinum. That way I had some place to put the lids.

dsc07127j.jpg

By zavod44 at 2012-07-09

dsc07124tj.jpg

By zavod44 at 2012-07-09

I love this and I get a ton of use out of it almost every day.

Originally posted by David Little:
The only question I have is how did you attach the kettles to the table?

Looks like Brian's kettles were taken from Performers, which allows him to leverage the mounting brackets used to secure the Performer to its frame.

Tyler your exactly right. I used kettles from two platinum grills. They already had the brackets attached. I will let you know that Mesa Azul originally had two black kettles that I attached "L" brackets myself.

dsc05793k.jpg

By zavod44 at 2011-10-29

I found that it did work, but it is very hard to attach the brackets. It can be done but I found it easier to use the grills with the brackets already attached. Generally the ones that have the brackets have the lid bales too. Once I found a blue grill I had the idea that I could find more blue ones and then the whole table would be blue. I had some help from members here getting this all together. If you do decide to go with black grills, they are easy to find and pretty cheap. I would say this. Make sure you find grills that will accept the one touch gold ash buckets. It is much easier to use the buckets instead of the ash pans. Just make sure you can get the buckets mounted. it makes life much easier....

I'm going to check and see if it would cost effective to buy the kettle parts instead of 2 performers. I don't want the carts, etc. just the kettles and lids. That way I get the ones that have the brackets and lid holders.

David,
Great project idea! And I'll be curious to see the results. I'm in the process of making something similar to what you're describing and what Brian has made. But I'm using two used Weber gas frames I picked up for cheap. I'm hoping to get to the welder either this week or next. I made something similar for my WSM using an old weber gas frame, I just need to add the top to it...

Brian, you mentioned you used L brackets with your original kettles, did you bolt those on or weld them? I was thinking of having them welded in a similar fashion as the performer brackets.

David, If you keep persistent on CL you will find some old ratty performers that you can use the grill out of. Also look for platinums. I found a $25 dollar performer that the cart was trashed, but the grill was good. If your not looking for a color you should be able to find black ones. I actually have a black kettle with the brackets. If your interested e-mail me and we can talk. I also have the kettles that came out of my table. The are available as well. As I said e-mail me if you are in need.

Chad I just bolted the brackets on. It is much easier to bolt that to weld....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back