New Pork Discovery/Feedback Needed

Pat Trammell

TVWBB Fan
Yesterday, while traveling on business in Northeast TN, some locals took me to Ridgewood Barbeque, in Bluff City, TN, near Johnson City. Ridgewood has been in business since 1948, and in the mid 1990's was named best barbeque in the country by People Magazine. It is a regionally famous place, and rightfully so. Nothing fancy, but great barbeque.

Anyway, I was visiting with my colleagues and discussing the relative merits of barbeque, including the science of collegen breakdown in butts. Our orders came, and I dove into my pork sandwich. It was among the best barbeque that I have had, but, well, different...

The meat was different from any pork butt I have had, much less stringy, and it was sliced, almost shaved in texture. I commented on this, and thought it must be a shoulder or picnic cut. At the counter, I met the manager and inquired about the cut of meat. This is where it gets interesting.

According to the manager, the only meat they serve is ham! To explain the process, I will quote from a brochure the manager gave me:

" Ridgewood is one of the few barbeque restaurants in the South that does not serve pork shoulder. For over three decades, the only cut of pork the Proffitts have smoked is fresh ham.

" Any country boy knows the difference," says Larry. "In the country, we turn the shoulders into sausage. Shoulder has a different taste. It's like the difference between breast meet on a turkey and thigh meat from the legs. The shoulder and ham taste different. The ham is far superior and costs more"

..... the hams come boned and rolled in cotton netting. They're smoked for about nine hours, then rubbed with a spice blend and chilled in a cooler. The next morning, the darkened hams are sliced revealing a meat almost white. Seconds before troweling massive piles onto platters or sandwiches, cooks reheat the meat on a grill and sauce it. Chopped, pulled, or minced are not options-only sliced"

Growing up in Alabama and traveling throughout the South for most of my life, I am quite familiar with regional barbeque variations. Indeed, there are at least four distinct types of barbeque in Alabama, depending on the section of the state. I have never experienced barbequed ham served like this, however. Not only was it different, it was very, very good! I would point out, this is not in any manner the pinkish reddish salty ham you have at Easter. It is a white, tender barbeque meat.

Does anyone else anywhere in this country or abroad have any similar experience with ham? Any insight or experience you can share would be most appreciated!

Thanks!!

Pat the only fresh hams I've cooked would be while doing whole hog. There is a difference in texture (larger mucles with less internal fat). As you discribe it would be the cut that you could slice depending on your finish temps, will normally chop.
Nice post.
I can't say I have seen a Q joint up here that serves it on the menu.
Jim

Pat, That sounds like it was good, but it would be new to me also. Here in the East most of the fresh hams I see in bbg are still on the hog. I have cooked them like shoulders over live coals or over gas. Smoking takes so long with them due to their size "being 20-25 #" I have only done that a time or two. I do like smoking whole hog, the hams on a 100# hog will not weigh in at 20 -25 #. To me the flavor of whole hog is tops, all the cuts mixed ummm.

Thanks for the post Pat it was well done.

Rick

I'm with Rick in my experences. Sounds good... and if I'm ever in the area, it's on my list.
icon_wink.gif

Thanks

Pat, I've posted a request to see if anyone has WSM'd a fresh ham and referred them to this thread.

My mother used to cook fresh hams all the time and we loved them.

This sounds like a good subject for another Cooking Topic for TVWB, no?

Rita

Yeah Rita,
My mom and grandmother used to cook them all the time as well. Cooked and tasted like pork roast.

We just never smoked them... unless they were hooked to a pig. Then almost all the meat was either pulled or chopped, and mixed together (like Rick said).

I smoked a freah ham at Christmas--it's my usual. I pull it at a lower temp and serve it sliced.

Back